Author Topic: I only managed to split my log! :D  (Read 5716 times)

Offline WillS

Re: I only managed to split my log! :D
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 08:06:42 pm »
Nope! That's what's so nice about using a clean stave.  Whip the bark off, and there's your back.  All it will need is some sanding and finishing when the tillering is done, and some rounding of cut/rasped edges as you go.  If you do accidentally dig too deep, its not the end of the world, but you may have to remove the rest of the back surface and go down to the next untouched ring.

Offline Caveman_Sam

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 08:30:09 pm »
Right right.. so if I do go into the first layer its on so long as I don't take off the whole ring layer and hit the one underneath? 

Ive got alot of big gnarly knotts.. I think this tree was carefully grown, and the branches removed from the trunk a lot, causing 1/2.5 inch knobbly mounds at 5 or 6 points on the staves back.  Ill remove the bark around them while I wait for a reply.. :)   

Offline WillS

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:47 pm »
Yeah, you basically want the back to be as untouched as possible, so in an ideal world you remove the bark/cambium and don't touch the back ever again.  However in real life (and especially with knots etc) you may find yourself breaking that rule.  Depending where in the limb it is, sometimes you can get away with it, but the better way of approaching this is to try and leave it perfect.

I would heartily recommend getting a copy of the Bowyer's Bible.  There are four volumes, but the first volume will give you pretty much all you need to get cracking.  Be careful around knots - leave them proud.  The tree should thicken the rings around it to provide growing strength, so try not to violate rings around knots. 

Offline Caveman_Sam

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 09:05:50 pm »
Volume 1 and 2 are in the post ;) i'm scraping and i've worked out what has been going on. because it was harvested in winter the first layer of wood is the darker stuff that makes the boundaries between the rings.. assuming that the larger whiter sections of rings happen when the tree grows a lot with all the sun in summer.  Im guessing that winter is not the best time to harvest wood for bows because you were saying I was after 'sap' wood and that would be the new growth ring from the summer?  Am I on the right track?

Do I want the hard winter ring or the larger growth one under it?  Maybe the hard winter ring makes a good back actually now thinking about it..

Offline Caveman_Sam

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »
Also the 1/4ers are about 5 to 6.5 inches across.. is it worth splitting them again to get 8ths?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 07:33:15 pm »
Aim for a width of at least 2" but preferably 2½" of the back of the bow. The tips may be narrower, but the center must the this wide minimum. Ash is easy to split, as long as there are few knots/defects.

Volume 1 and 2 are in the post ;) i'm scraping and i've worked out what has been going on. because it was harvested in winter the first layer of wood is the darker stuff that makes the boundaries between the rings.. assuming that the larger whiter sections of rings happen when the tree grows a lot with all the sun in summer.  Im guessing that winter is not the best time to harvest wood for bows because you were saying I was after 'sap' wood and that would be the new growth ring from the summer?  Am I on the right track?

Do I want the hard winter ring or the larger growth one under it?  Maybe the hard winter ring makes a good back actually now thinking about it..
No, you are confusing things.
First, trees (and thus wood) grow from early spring to fall. There is no wood formed in the winter. The layer you call 'winter growth ring' is the so called latewood. The layer that was produced in the spring is called earlywood. One annual growth ring is composed of earlywood and latewood. It's not strictly demarcated, since the spring does not abruptly stop. But in ring porous woods such as ash (or hickory or oak, for that matter) you can clearly see the boundary between the latewood from one year, and the earlywood from the next year. This boundary is the darker colored latewood in ash. But you can't find the boundary between the earlywood from one year and the latewood from the same year since that is gradual. The earlywood is spongy, porous wood, which you want to avoid in woods (holes are weak). Latewood is more dense and preferred in ring porous woods.
Sapwood consists of several annual growth rings. Depending on the species of wood, about three to twenty rings. Not all species have visible sapwood, but most woods have their sapwood clearly demarcated from the heartwood by a lighter color (such as oaks). Ash has no such thing; you can't visually see where the sapwood ends and the heartwood begins. That is not a problem, since both the sapwood and heartwood in ash are equally good.
Wood can be cut at any time of year. Winter is just as good as spring of summer. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Yet, it is theoretically true that ash wood harvested in May will have a thin layer of earlywood directly underneath the cambium, while ash wood harvested in December will have a layer of latewood directly underneath the cambium. But that is really unimportant and will not effect the bow, nor will it pose a problem in working with the wood. In practice, it is about impossible to get the earlywood on the back of the bow. This layer is so soft, you automatically remove it and always end up with the latewood on the back of a ring porous wood bow. As long as the back is one growth ring, it does not matter how deep in this single ring you are.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286