Author Topic: board opinions for pyramid bow  (Read 7936 times)

Offline Twokag

Re: board opinions for pyramid bow
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 07:41:13 pm »
I think I follow.  Like this, but with a little more rounded in the center of the handle?  I don't know why this part is being hard to come around.  the thickness, and width, even tiller, are concepts that come pretty quick.  They will take time to get smooth and better at them, but the concept is there.  The handle has been slower to settle in.  Maybe because the same area has an multiple angles at the same time?

anyway, am I getting closer?  Once I get the handle figured out, I will start with the tillering questions.

thanks
Scott

Offline bushboy

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:01 pm »
This is how I lay out most of my handles if this helps.drawn on the back of the bow and a side view.excuse the scribble!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 07:47:48 pm »
Yup,ya beat me to it.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Twokag

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 08:02:51 pm »
Thanks for the walk through on that.  For some reason I got it in my head that the taper (profile) into the handle was AFTER the taper from the limbs (belly), and they should not overlap.  with that wrong idea in my head, I couldn't get the math to work out for an 8' riser.  by the end of the evening I will have it cut out and edges smoothed and ready to start bending...

Offline Twokag

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »
Below is the handle, and the first tillering attempt.  the handle will be refined after the tillering is done.

If I lighten the limb on the right where it touches the line, will that release it to match the left side?  the left side looks good to me, am I missing anything?  It is being bent using a long string, no bracing yet.  I worked it slowly up to the image you see, bend, release, repeat.  the mark on the scale is about 45-50lb. Scale is very rough.  the marks on the wall are not meaningful right now.  At some point if I do this one well, I might make a good grid there.

Open to suggestions so I don't blow it from here. Or make a 15lb bow.
thanks
Scott

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:56 pm »
get it braced and then get the limbs matched up, it's looking pretty good, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 11:34:36 pm »
Make yourself one of Eric Krewson's tillering gizmos to find where wood needs to be removed.  They are ideal for pyramid bows but be sure to leave the last 6" or so of the limbs thicker enough so they don't bend.  Directions are posted in a sticky in the How To section of the forum.     

Offline Twokag

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 05:07:34 pm »
made a gizmo.  braced it at 2".  Balanced limbs roughly.  Braced it at 7" from back.  Balanced limbs more.

Here is a pic of it at draw, probably 26-27" from web of my thumb and finger.  The scale I have it bad, but show it about 35-40# @28".

Anything else to do but fine sand and finish it? I do have an inch or two of set on each limb.  how do I minimize that on the next one?  (my wife and other daughter also want one)

Offline dmc

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 09:51:48 pm »
Nice job Twokag, really like the profile showing off the back of the bow. Looking forward to seeing more.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 10:28:10 pm »
If your handle/grip permits, I'd flip it upside down.  As it is the top limb looks stiffer than the bottom, it's better the other way around, that way it balances out at draw (stresses are different when drawn in hand).  Once you do that, it should look really good.  Rules for set:

1.  make sure the wood is good and dry
2.  make the limbs wide enough and/or long enough for the particular type of wood and design (looks like you went plenty wide)
3.  Don't pull past any hinges or stiff spots

Verify how much set you have, an inch is actually pretty good, 2" isn't bad for your first few.

all in all i'd say well done!

Offline Twokag

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 08:03:49 pm »
Except for shooting it, and having a friend make a good black string for me, it is done.  We may redo the leather handle.

66" NTN
2.5" widest
1/2" tips
1.75" set on each tip
wood wedge arrow rest
Stained green
Wife Painted rose (daughters middle name is rose)
spray poly finish followed by 0000 steel wool

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 08:13:45 pm »
Looks good. I like the paint job.

Just a quick pointer for your next one. Your bottom limb from midlimb to tip is too stiff. It should bend evenly like the top limb. This will help to minimize set.

Also, if you plan to keep working with red oak. I found the best thing is to crown or trap the back. It greatly reduces set in my experience.

Jon

Offline Twokag

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:14 pm »
The first picture is out of focus, but is when we gave the bow to my daughter.  One of her shooting, and one showing her hitting a makeshift target (recliner on the way to the trash)

The weight scared her at first, but after 20 shots or so, she is comfortable with the draw, and can hit on 8 inch circle.  Not bad for the first time out.

Thanks for the tips and help with the bow and the string.  I hope to start up on a couple more in Aug.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 04:43:18 pm »
Looks like she's enjoying it!

I especially like your troll silhuette target.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 05:31:32 pm »
Very nice. Came out great. Looks like your daughter shoots it quite well too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!