Author Topic: Are Vanes really that Bad?  (Read 8476 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: Are Vanes really that Bad?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »
I think that you guys are thinking of the other SS(squirrelSLAYER) squirrelSLINGER hasn't posted anything ridiculous & seems like a pretty straight shooter
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 12:31:17 pm »
Oh, and feathers are free(and better) just wait till the geese molt and you can pick up dozens near ponds and whatnot

I really like the sound of this magic feather sealing substance Carson, please tell me more!
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 01:09:14 pm »
Short answer: Yes.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:33:25 pm »
I know they are two different people billy. No mistake here. if you look through some of squirrelSlingers stuff you will find some ridiculous claims. I'm actually starting to like Squirrelslayer a bit more. Hopefully he is on the right track.

Jon
Thanks.
I appreciate it.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 11:30:37 pm »
Look, all I'm saying is its annoying when you are evidently inexperienced, but make your claims as if they are one hundred percent correct. You admit in some of your posts that your bows aren't great, but when someone asks for advice you claim you have some incredible bows such as a 50" long ERC recurve bow that pulls 28"! I doubt some of the best bowyers on this sight could pull of such a bow. Its really starting to rub me the wrong way cause I am young (18) as well. B
I don't think I ever mentioned such a bow. But I do have a 55 inch cable back ERC that took soo much set that it is now a deflex-recurve bow. I think it will break if I remove the backing.
Christian Soldier saw it before I made recurved tips(duct tape, string, and some wood)- I posted it on S.org.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 01:39:22 am »
Jon I know that your pissed, is this really worth the time and trouble, anyone that's done a trade with you knows you got skills and are a stand up guy, people shred there own reps on here, your's is solid, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 02:16:23 am »
OK Bub your right. I'm done.

Jon

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 03:26:49 pm »
Okay, yall's opinions do carry serrious weight with me.

Now I can start blaming my vanes instead of just my bad shots!  ::)

Seriously, my own error is definitely more at fault than my arrows and I've missed far with feathers and hit dead on with vanes but I think with a proper feather fletching job would be significantly supierior. I made the ones I have now last summer and the transistion is kind of rough, as the scar on my left index knuckle can attest too.  ;) That was also before I learned about the higher knocking point for when you are shooting off the knuckle.  :-[ . But I don't cut my knuckle too much anymore.  ;)

I've got a new batch of arrows that are definitely getting some turkey feathers and this summer I'll revamp my old ones so the transition is a little smoother.

I litteraly went outside about five minutes ago and even put my hand right below the knocking point and the vanes still didn't cut my hands. However, I have tried to make DT Vanes into 'feathers' before and shooting those off the knuckle hurt a lot.  :)

Jon, squirrel is young, still sometimes a bit brash and annoying, but he's around that middle school/freshman age where most guys think they know way more than they actually do. I can't judge because I know I wasn't too different a few years ago (I'm 16 now). I have seen a bow of his but, despite his great interest in primitive weapons, he's still pretty new and has a lot to learn.

Squirrel(regarding the above), just keeping it real man. I've had a few people give me similar critism before and it really helped me go in the right direction. Being able to take that constructive humbling critisim well is a big step in the direction of maturity. Guys need that.

To all, I might still use DT vanes for Stumping, but I'll stick to the feathers for serious work. Thanks guys!

:)

Dan
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 05:01:24 pm »
Dan my only advice woyld be if you have arrows with vanes shoot'em til they get tore up and replace the with feathers, two fletch work great and use less feathers , Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 12:07:39 am »
Jon, squirrel is young, still sometimes a bit brash and annoying, but he's around that middle school/freshman age where most guys think they know way more than they actually do. I can't judge because I know I wasn't too different a few years ago (I'm 16 now). I have seen a bow of his but, despite his great interest in primitive weapons, he's still pretty new and has a lot to learn.

Squirrel(regarding the above), just keeping it real man. I've had a few people give me similar critism before and it really helped me go in the right direction. Being able to take that constructive humbling critisim well is a big step in the direction of maturity. Guys need that.
Jon, I would like to apologize for being an idiot. I do that a lot... read an entire book series and think I understand what its saying. Learned that when I made my first bow- ERC needs some sort of tension strong back:o
Arrows.... that is another matter.

Offline wildman

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 02:07:18 am »
Vanes do "buck" off a solid shelf. That being said and me being frugal/cheap. I have cut plastic vanes to emulate feathers cheap compromise. Turkeys have a way of passing away around my place if ya need some feathers PM me my feather bucket runneth over. No trade you can have some :D

Wildman
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 11:39:42 pm »

Jon, I would like to apologize for being an idiot. I do that a lot... read an entire book series and think I understand what its saying. Learned that when I made my first bow- ERC needs some sort of tension strong back:o
Arrows.... that is another matter.

I appreciate that Squirrel my boy. Your not an idiot, just inexperienced. You need to understand that a lot of people come to this sight (including me) asking for advice from the pros, and that you may not be the best qualified yet to give advice. You will be with time, you just got to accept that right know you should learn as much as possible before posting conflicting ideas. Like you said with your ERC. Learning comes with Experience!!!!! Not just reading the page of a book. Again, I appreciate the apology and again am sorry for being so forward, I'm looking eagerly ahead towards your progress.

Jon
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:42:47 pm by Ifrit617 »