Author Topic: Are Vanes really that Bad?  (Read 8477 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Are Vanes really that Bad?
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:50:50 am »
Hey yall, I've been watching a few archery vids recently where they say tend to demonize vanes and say how fleathers are pretty much mandatory if you are shooting off a rest/knucke, but then later won't hesitate to use DT vanes on arrows.

I got a glass bow recently (PSE Impala #45 @ 28, 60" long. $50 used) and shot some aluminum arrows with plastic vanes, some shots miss and some shots are dead on and I'll shoot great groups. I also occasionaly shoot arrows with DT vanes out of my wood bows and its the same way. It seems more like I'm much more of a factor than stiff fletching.

I know a lot of guys have used DT fletching at one time or another and don't condem it but vanes seem to be the offspring of the devil when guys are giving talks on Trad archery. I would think with the archers paradox and other factos (like the shooter) it wouldn't really matter too much but I'm still relatively new to this so I figured I'd get your thoughts on it.

So, are vanes really that bad?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Are Vanes really that Bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:21:32 am »
On a center shot bow with a rest, they're not that bad, but off the shelf they smack the bow and throw the arrow off course.  feathers have some give so it's not a problem, but vanes don't collapse the same way.

If you shoot them off the hand you have the same issue plus some risk of getting cut.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:30:50 am »
Hey yall, I've been watching a few archery vids recently where they say tend to demonize vanes and say how fleathers are pretty much mandatory if you are shooting off a rest/knucke, but then later won't hesitate to use DT vanes on arrows.

I got a glass bow recently (PSE Impala #45 @ 28, 60" long. $50 used) and shot some aluminum arrows with plastic vanes, some shots miss and some shots are dead on and I'll shoot great groups. I also occasionaly shoot arrows with DT vanes out of my wood bows and its the same way. It seems more like I'm much more of a factor than stiff fletching.

I know a lot of guys have used DT fletching at one time or another and don't condem it but vanes seem to be the offspring of the devil when guys are giving talks on Trad archery. I would think with the archers paradox and other factos (like the shooter) it wouldn't really matter too much but I'm still relatively new to this so I figured I'd get your thoughts on it.

So, are vanes really that bad?

Yes.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:00:53 pm »
Ya what they said

Feathers tend to fit trad archery better then plastics  and with a little effort can be had for little or nothing put the wordout to friends and coworkers and before long you have Turkey duck and goose wings up the wazoo another bird that has great feathers is pea cock or hens and people often times want to get rid of at least some of them.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:21:36 pm »
Thanks!  :)

I'm still a little unconvinced. IME feathers are better, but I'm not entirely sure vanes are so bad just yet. Maybe it'll take some more shooting for me to be more cynical  :) .

I have plenty of feathers (and feather fletched arrows) but I recieved a dozen aluminum arrows as a gift and they seem to shoot alright. I'll shoot more with them later. I've also found I've actually cut myself much more with feathers beacause of the trasition not being quite as smooth, but that's my fault, not the arrow.

Have you guys ever used DT fletching for stumping or anything? I sometimes do and I thought others did too but it seems like you might as well shoot with your eyes closed with the accuracy yall say you'll get when shooting with vanes.

Your input is appreciated, Thanks again!

2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:29:27 pm »
if you need a quick fix for target shooting i don't see why you cant use vanes. i use them at the moment because they are the cheapest thing i can get. For hunting i don't suggest it and for accurate shots its probably not the best, but like i said, its going to give you more stability than a shaft without fletching
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 12:44:05 pm »
Feathers are gods gift to the arrow maker, so yes, conversely plastic vanes are the work of the devil >:D.   I agree with what has been said.  The only drawback feathers have, that I can think of, is that they can become "matted" down when they get wet or are shot through a a wet haybail.  But I know a guy who has a really cool secret substance he applies to his feathers to avoid this.  look for his how to article in an upcoming PA.  If they do get matted down try turning them over a jet of steam (such as from your kettle) to liven them back up. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 04:33:48 pm »
 Good  score on the  PSE!  vanes on an elevated rest (a stick on)  will  shoot great! I've had good luck 4-fletch with 2" vanes off the shelf,,,and I would not hesetate to hunt with vanes on a wet day to each his own!!!  JeffW

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »
I have used vanes and I often do use vanes. They are cheaper than feathers.
not as durable for stump shooting, but are better in water.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 06:26:18 pm »
Try shooting some vanes off your hand and you'll quickly realize that feathers are better.  >:D >:D I got the scars to prove it.

Jon

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »
Try shooting some vanes off your hand and you'll quickly realize that feathers are better.  >:D >:D I got the scars to prove it.

Jon
If you aren't shooting a super fast high weight bow, they aren't that bad.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 08:49:07 pm »

Jon

Squirrel your trying to tell me that shooting a thin piece of plastic even 100 fps right over your knuckle isnt going to hurt? I've seen a lot of your posts on threads making some pretty ridiculous claims, but you haven't posted a single picture to back stuff up. If you prove it great, but don't keep trying to post BS statements... On this forum we like seeing pictures, not just words until youve proven you know your stuff. Its starting to get on my nerves.

Jon

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 08:15:43 am »
Make a hole about the size of a dime with your thumb and index finger... Drop an arrow fletched with feathers and it will fall through, vanes won't. When shooting off the shelf or hand the feathers lay down easily as they slide across but vanes WILL wad up and kick off to some degree. Yes you can shoot groups with vanes but pay close attention to your arrow flight. My feathers always fly better and that is important for me especially in a close hunting situation for good penetration. Don't want my arrow kicking even the slightest amount because that will impede penetration. Try them through some paper. JMHO
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 09:37:29 am »

Jon

Squirrel your trying to tell me that shooting a thin piece of plastic even 100 fps right over your knuckle isnt going to hurt? I've seen a lot of your posts on threads making some pretty ridiculous claims, but you haven't posted a single picture to back stuff up. If you prove it great, but don't keep trying to post BS statements... On this forum we like seeing pictures, not just words until youve proven you know your stuff. Its starting to get on my nerves.

Jon
There was that nice hand ground slate axe a while back

Sincerely,
the devil's advocate
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:39 am »

Jon

Jon
There was that nice hand ground slate axe a while back

Sincerely,
the devil's advocate

I'll give you that.. Not really my point but your right.

Jon