Author Topic: Bumpy mystery sapling bow  (Read 3428 times)

Offline steve b.

Bumpy mystery sapling bow
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:21:18 pm »
I found this stick laying in the woods.  Thought at first it was a trophy Oceanspray find but should have known as it was too light in weight.  After working it I'm pretty sure it is Hazelnut, even though it looks nothing like the Hazelnut in the surrounding area.   Left the bark on just to see if it would make a bow and now I'll have to see how long it lasts.  Its very light weight, like 30#, 68" long, but is smooth shooting and interesting to look at.  Upper limb is longer and out of tiller but I didn't want to work it any more because it was getting so light.  I need to get on to my tradebow............

Offline steve b.

Re: Bumpy mystery sapling bow
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:22:09 pm »

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:11 pm »

Offline steve b.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:25:19 pm »

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:14 pm »
Got me what it is   ??? ??? ??? ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:53:47 pm »
The bark does resemble hazelnut, but I've never seen one quite that bumpy. The belly looks a little dark for hazelnut, but if you have a finish on it, it would be darker. It's a cool bow though. very unique looking.               Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 12:32:30 am »
It was obviously taunting you . You HAD to make it into a bow. (and a damn fine job you did on it). Sometimes we just have to take a break from the task at hand to turn out a little gem or two.

Offline randman

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »
Although I have seen hazel bark that looks sorta like that, It looks like Ocean Spray to me also. The wood also looks like OS to me with that ambery color. The hazel around parts where OS also grows is very white with no discernable grain. Did that stick have a corky pith in it? And does the wood have a swirly figure (rays) when cut across across the grain? Can't tell exactly from the pics but I can see a little bit of grain. If so then that's probably Ocean spray.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »
I don't see any string follow so the wood must be decent for makin bows what ever it is
I like osage

Offline hatcha

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 04:17:13 pm »
Looks like dinosaur skin to me  :o

Whatever it is, it makes a nice looking bow!  Well done :D

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:26 pm »
Oh thats a turtle bark tree >:D they make a really nice bow ::)
Always learning something new.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 06:06:21 pm »
whatever it is it looks cool 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 07:52:18 pm »
Man oh man that sure is a beautiful bow! I particularly love the handle
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 10:29:52 pm »
Love it.
Nice job.
Too bad I can't do this with Locust.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline steve b.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 11:03:04 pm »
Thanks for the comments.   I should have said that I stained the belly.  It was very light in color. 

Randman knows his stuff.   The core is not pithy and the grain is very faint but straight and not swirly like OS.  The bow is very light in physical weight. 
And like Joe says, there is NO set.  It would follow the string a little after unstringing but spring back to reflex after an hour. 

I had it out of tiller at times and pulled it pretty hard anyway and, had it been VM or oak that i've worked, probably would have set a little.  But I'm notorious for working whitewood that is not properly dry too. 
Still, I would put this wood up against yew in weight vs. performance.  A friend is clearing his entire backyard of hazelnut and plum and I will get it all so I hope to make more of these this year.