Author Topic: fargesia rufa?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline nmcnaughton

fargesia rufa?
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:40:34 pm »
I live in Michigan. Looking for a arrow bamboo that can stand cold winters. Found fargesia rufa bamboo does anybody know if you can make arrows from it and will it thrive without constant attention.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fargesia rufa?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 05:42:53 pm »
Is it a type of bamboo? I've not heard of it. How is it described in the info about it? Size, etc.   If the size of mature culms is appropriate for arrows then it should make good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nmcnaughton

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:49:39 pm »
It says 6 to 10 feet in height 1/4 to 1/2 in diameter and hardy to -15 degrees

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 06:39:58 pm »
Sounds like it should work well as far as size goes. There are many grass species and only a few will make good arrows. Most of the bamboo types will make good arrows if their structure and size are appropriate. Giant reed grass(Arunda donax) and phragmites, both grasses, will make good arrows but they are not near as durable as the native canes(Arundaneria).  There are probably hundreds of types of bamboo but most are too big to make arrows. I'd guess that the ones that were size appropriate would make good arrows. .
 The only way to know for sure would be to try some.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bhenders

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:11:49 am »
I live in Mid Michigan and have about eight or nine bamboos that I grow.

The Faragesias are hardy (for the most part) clumpers.    Bamboos will take at least five years to get established in Michigan.  I had a beautiful Faragesia that was going along great for eight years and last year, it bloomed.  I thought it had died but I noticed this weekend that it was putting out more flowers so MAYBE it will survive.  (Most bamboos die after they flower).  It may have been a rufa but I'm not sure.  It did not have clums large enough for arrows.  Also, Michigan is at the end of their range and they will not grow as large.  If you've found a cheap supplier, by all means buy them.  Bamboos are beautiful plants and stay green all year.

I also have a Japanese Arrow bamboo that will finally be putting up clums this year that I can use for arrows.  (I moved it around every year until three years ago).  They are not top hardy in reallly cold Michigan winters but have been ok the past couple of winters.  They ARE root hardy however and will survive (down to -5 I think).  IF you have a protected place along a south facing wall, by all means plant Pseudosasa japonica and if it gets really cold, mulch the bed with straw during the winter. 

PM me if you need more information or if you want some bamboo plants.  I have three or four ground cover bamboos - low growing runners. 

I also have some phyllostachys flexuosa that grows to 15 feet.  The phyllostachys bamboos are the timber bamboos and have several that are hardy up north.  I've made arrows out of the flexuosa when it put up small clums but they've gotten too big now for even atlatl darts...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:20:46 am by bhenders »

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:54:22 pm »
Where abouts in michigan are you fellas at? I'm in the grand rapids area. Don't know anything about which bamboo will work, but would love to find out. Always wanted to plant some myself.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bhenders

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
Sent you a pm.  If you've got the space and place buy the arrow bamboo.  It will take a while to establish but until you can get arrows out of it, it's still beautiful.