Author Topic: Staves from three year old tree tops?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline crwjr

Staves from three year old tree tops?
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:29 pm »
I got a woods that was logged three years ago and the tips ate still down. I was wandering if I could cut some nice logs and split into staves. Would these be ready to make bows or will they be a pain to split? Anyone with knowledge on this :)
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline TacticalFate

Re: Staves from three year old tree tops?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:51:54 pm »
Unless they're locust or osage, they probably started to rot less than a month after they hit the ground. No harm in checking, but after three years I doubt you'll find anything worth using if they're whitewoods.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:34:36 pm »
I would say no. I made a hickory bow out of a log in my wood pile that was only 1 year old and I had to take it down 1/2 inch to get a good ring on it. It was a real pain. Bugs got to it and rot in only 1 year. White wood doesn't last long in the elements. If Moisture content is more than like 25 % wood rots.
Greg

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:14 pm »
See if the guy will allow you to find a live tree and cut it /split it up for future bow wood. Black locust, elm, hickory, ash, ironwood would be a few choices other than Osage. They don't need to be large diameter,8-12" will yield enough staves to get started. Just seal the ends and the back if you remove the bark which is a good idea right now. The bark will be easier to remove now that the sap is up.

Unless the tops are Osage, let it go and use your time finding live. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:28:41 am »
unless it is osage spend your time looking for live wood save your self time and trouble !!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 01:52:03 am »
Just like others have said unless its a rot resistant wood like Osage or cedar then forget it go look for new wood
I like osage

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 12:17:19 pm »
Tree tops will likely be loaded with knots anyway, and will always yield the lowest quality wood. Go for the main trunk, or a main branch. Not the tree top.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286