Author Topic: bow for my girlfriend  (Read 3985 times)

Offline darwin

bow for my girlfriend
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »
I have been planning on making a bow for my girlfriend and need a little help with some dimensions.

She has about a 25 in draw and probably cant pull more than 30 lbs and I was thinking of making a little short static recurve for her preferably with a stiff handle as this is her first bow and i think making a good arrow pass for her will help her learn to shoot more comfortably. It will be made out of osage probably with a rawhide backing brightly painted as she will never hunt with it (blood freaks her out)

This is her first bow so it needs to be easy to shoot, but I also want it to be fairly snappy for its draw weight so that she doesn't  feel bad shooting next to me when i have a much higher weight bow.

So here is the question what design, limb length/ thickness would yall recommend to help me get started

Offline bubby

Re: bow for my girlfriend
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »
board or stave Darwin, it wont take much wood to get what you need
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline darwin

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »
stave

I know it wont take much and I have never built something with such a low draw weight and draw length before so i'm a little at a loss for what dimensions i should be looking at

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:32:47 pm »
I have been planning on making a bow for my girlfriend and need a little help with some dimensions.

She has about a 25 in draw and probably cant pull more than 30 lbs and I was thinking of making a little short static recurve for her preferably with a stiff handle as this is her first bow and i think making a good arrow pass for her will help her learn to shoot more comfortably. It will be made out of osage probably with a rawhide backing brightly painted as she will never hunt with it (blood freaks her out)

This is her first bow so it needs to be easy to shoot, but I also want it to be fairly snappy for its draw weight so that she doesn't  feel bad shooting next to me when i have a much higher weight bow.

So here is the question what design, limb length/ thickness would yall recommend to help me get started
I just finished one for my sister in law. Stats are
60 in tt 4 in handle with 1 inch fades
1 1/8 at fades, pyramid profile. tips are just a hair under 5/16 wide.
Handle is 1 5/8 deep and 5/8 wide at arrow pass
pulls 34 lbs at 24 inches.
Casts a 320 grain tapered cedar arrow with 3 in fletches about 180 yards. It is made out of shag bark hickory. She loves it and can't wait for me to finish the arrows for it.
Hope this helps.
Greg

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:43:19 pm »

I just finished one for my sister in law. Stats are
60 in tt 4 in handle with 1 inch fades
1 1/8 at fades, pyramid profile. tips are just a hair under 5/16 wide.
Handle is 1 5/8 deep and 5/8 wide at arrow pass
pulls 34 lbs at 24 inches.
Casts a 320 grain tapered cedar arrow with 3 in fletches about 180 yards. It is made out of shag bark hickory. She loves it and can't wait for me to finish the arrows for it.
Hope this helps.
Greg

thanks, will this work for a board bow? SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:46:10 pm »
yep squirrel

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:39:49 am »
Thanks, if i had a board 1 1/2" wide and 3/4" thick could i make a pyramid design without a risor? SS

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 04:51:25 am »
Thanks, if i had a board 1 1/2" wide and 3/4" thick could i make a pyramid design without a risor? SS

It's possible but I don't see why you wouldn't want a riser on it
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 06:11:39 am »

I think a eastern woodland would be a better choice

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:39:56 am »
For ease of tillering I would go with the pyramid. If you follow the dimensions of the sudbury bow, tiller can be a little tricky I think.
Greg

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:17:37 pm »
thanks, SS

also on YouTube

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:09:12 pm »
Darwin one of my favorite shooters is an osage bow that came in a little light, but would be similar in dimensions to what you're thinking. You could go as short as 60-62", 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" at the fades, then about 5-6" from the fades start tapering to a 1/2" tip; thickness 5/8" at the fade tapering to 3/8 to 1/2" at the tip. These are rough dimensions and will vary with your wood/stave quality.
Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 09:03:11 am »
Darwin, I would make a bendy handle bow almost as tall as she is. Board or stave.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956