Author Topic: Help need with tunning  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Holten101

Help need with tunning
« on: April 29, 2013, 04:09:49 am »
Hey guys/gals

I have a reoccurring problem with my selfbows. Quite often (1/3 of my bows) I end up with bows that despite seemingly good  tiller and string tracking, are impossible for me to tune. Arrows (no matter the spine) hits the striker plate/arrow pass....I get a loud "tick" and the arrows are all over the place.

I suspects that the limbs warp at full draw (the phenomen seems to happen more often on propeller corrected bows), but i cant confirm that. I have tried adjusting tilller to improve limb timing, but to no avail:-(

I just finished a Hjarnø replica and its a good solid, fast bow....but useless until I get the "tick" cured!:-(

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Offline bambule

Re: Help need with tunning
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:19:08 am »
The "tick" on the bow is often a problem of your release...
Try to shoot with a tab or without any leather on the fingers.
Sometimes people pinch the arrow on the string so there is no chance for the arrow to go straight.
I don't think that your problem comes from the bow.

Greetz
Cord
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:22:37 am by bambule »
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Holten101

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:28:46 am »
Thanks Bambule...I hope that is the case, that would solve alot. The thing is....I can pick up another bow and the problem is gone....but then again, it only takes 1 mm of improper string tracking to transform a semi bad release into a disaster.

I could try with my mechanical release (shudders) and see if the problem persists.

Chhers

Offline bambule

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:36:46 am »
Another tip is to shoot with the cockfeather inside.
I have a yewbow on which no arrow came out straight - after several hundred shoots my friend told me to shoot with the cockfeather inside - I rolled my eyes but I tried - the problem was gone.
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:10:08 am »
I'd say check the basics.
What's the brace height? often increasing it a tad will help.
Suspend the bow from the nocking point, then view it end on using a plumb line as a reference , this helps show if the string is central or slightly one side or t'other. If it's out, the grip can be re shaped or adjusting the nocks on the bow 1/16" -1/8" can han help (especially with any hint of sideways bend or twist)
Put an arrow on the string at brace hold the bow horizontaly (arrow on top) with the arrow resting on the arrow pass, is it fairly straight or is it canting up a lot? Where does it contact the side of the bow, it should be mid limb with the surface either side of that point curving gently away. Sometimes just a 1/8" off there can make a huge different.

I tend to tune all my bows to shoot the same arrows rather than tuning the arrows to the bow.
Often a few very small adjustments can make a big difference.
Only make small adjustments, as you and the bow will be sort of sdjusting together.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bambule

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 05:14:49 am »
Yeah Del, you're right. Check the basics is a very good tip!
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:15:54 am »
  It's diffently your release. Your snaping your fingers open.
  Try this I've been releaseing like this for over 20 years. HOWARD HILL released like this.
  Release with your third finger gown first. Your other 2 fingers follow on que. When you feel that third finger burn you know your doing it right. You get the same smooth release every time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Holten101

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:29:27 am »
  It's diffently your release. Your snaping your fingers open.
  Try this I've been releaseing like this for over 20 years. HOWARD HILL released like this.
  Release with your third finger gown first. Your other 2 fingers follow on que. When you feel that third finger burn you know your doing it right. You get the same smooth release every time.

Good advice all. By third finger, I assume you mean my lowest finger?....that is pretty much how I do it at the moment. I would really hate having to switch to a tab....but I might have to in order to force a new release style:-(.

Cheers

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 06:51:21 am »
The Howard Hill release thing works great.
Also try playing with your brace. Even a quarter of an inch can make a big difference between arrow smacking the strike plate or not. Are your arrows spined correctly? Cause if too soft of spine will make them wack the strike plate. Lots of variables. I currently have a 47 lb bow that has the same issues but I think it's too soft spined arrows. Once finish is on I will fine tune the arrows for it. I would say play with brace the most that has worked for me.
Greg

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 07:29:22 am »
It could be a many different factors. How are the arrows flying? Are you shooting off your hand or off a shelf or rest? Do you know the arrow spine? Although it sounds like the spine may be too low causing excessive paradox they could be too stiff  and not clearing the sideplate.
Are you getting excessive wrist slap from the string on your bow arm? It could be as simple as too low of brace height or too low of string nock placement.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 07:37:08 am »
It could be a many different factors. How are the arrows flying? Are you shooting off your hand or off a shelf or rest? Do you know the arrow spine? Although it sounds like the spine may be too low causing excessive paradox they could be too stiff  and not clearing the sideplate.
Are you getting excessive wrist slap from the string on your bow arm? It could be as simple as too low of brace height or too low of string nock placement.
I went though all my arrows yesterday....low and high spine, they all strike the handle/plate. I shoot off the hand on all my bows. I have tried to brace a little higher...but there is still room for experimenting with that. I also need to confirm string tracking like Del adviced. I dont get wrist slap. I forgot to mention that its the same when I flip the bow(s).

Fortunatly I have have/and make plenty of bows that dont do this.....I just really want to correct the problem and learn, on the few that does;-)

Cheers

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 11:42:31 am »
Just a thought, but it might be the string. If you shoot other bows and it doesn't happen,you've kind of ruled out the release.(kind of).Get a friend to shoot it,see if it makes the same noise. I just finished a bow,where the temporary string had a nock loop that was just a little too tight on one end. It made some very peculiar noises . Kind of a click followed by a cartoonish boing. :o :-[. New string,shoots great, no noise. What are you using for string? Try a different material. Could also be propeller twist in the limbs. Instead of your string coming straight forward, the top goes one way and the bottom goes the other. When the string comes to rest  , the whole thing is sometimes gyrating  more (or differently)than it would on a different bow. The shape of the string vibrations being an "S" shape,   instead of  oval from nock to nock.  I'm not sure if  my point is coming across clearly. Sorry if it sound like gibberish. If you look at slow motion vids on youtube you get a good idea of just how much movement there is  with  everything after the arrow leaves the bow. If you haven't witnessed it ,you are robbing yourself of a great deal of info. Good luck! Let us know how you eventually solve it.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 11:56:37 am »
It kinda sounds like prop twist that as you draw it comes out of alignment. Picts? I think I have the same thing on my 45lb bow that is half finished. Maybe some sort of a jig that you could put in a vice and draw the bow back and look at it to see if it is off when at full draw.
Greg

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »
A good trick is to tape a couple of spills (straws or whatever) one on each limb sticking out sideways, preferably parallell to eachother. Put it on the tiller and winch it back. Every 6" or so you can have a look see if they are still parallel.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 01:04:36 pm »
Ok.....I have done some experimenting, and this bow is wrong in all the right ways (or is it vice versa;-)....it twists and turns during draw, putting string tracking off. Its tiller is funny too, and center of balance is off too, but it seems to have an even bend and it keeps 2" of reflex after 10 min rest (not bad for a wych Elm molly at 64").

I adjusted brace height, which did nothing...wrapped the handle....which did nothing....changed my release.....which did nothing.

Finally....and just before it made kindle wood, I tried my heavy Grizzly stick carbon arrows, and lo and behold....these, much too stiff, arrows grouped fist sized at 25 yds...again and again (best shooting I have done in years).....and no "tick" at all)

This bow has some personality, maybe too much, but im hanging in there.....now I just need to find some wooded sticks she likes.

By now I think I can rule out my release (peww;-). Going overspine might be the key on this "just not right" bow:-)

Cheers, and thanks for helping:-)

Ill post her when she's shot in.....unless I give up ofc;-)