Author Topic: Bamboo Backed Ipe/Hickory...  (Read 4059 times)

Offline SwingsAndArrows

Bamboo Backed Ipe/Hickory...
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:08:45 pm »
Bowyers!

I'm considering a bamboo-backed Ipe & Hickory bow build.  One experienced bowyer warned me about trying to glue-up flat-sawn Hickory to another flat sawn piece (poor adhesion) noting that quarter sawn-to-flat sawn is no problem.  Also wondering if Ipe and Hickory grain orientation is a consideration when laminating pieces together.

Thanks!
Mike

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Bamboo Backed Ipe/Hickory...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:36:54 pm »
Hey Mike

I have never had issues with gluing flat sawn to flat sawn - - in fact, I think this would be the ideal grain orientation for the best glue up possible.  Are you sure you were not warned against gluing end grain, cause that dog won't hunt?  Many people have had problems gluing Ipe (myself included), but they have been due to the oils in the wood (or a bad batch of URAC), not its grain orientation. 

In addition, if you are gluing bamboo to the board in question, you really do not have the situation you ask about, since the grain orientation in boo is not, IMHO, comparable to the grain in wood -  and you can only use the boo one way.   Just score the wood and boo (both sides of the joint) and glue away. 

Although you did not ask - - I would vote for the boo ipe combo - makes a great bow and in my experience (couple of bows), the boo hickory combo results in too much set (probably due to a combo of moisture content, not enough hot boxing, and that hickory is much stronger in tension than compression) as compared to the ipe combo.  Save the hickory for handle accents or backings.  For that matter, if you have nice hickory, a hickory backed ipe bow is also real nice to have lying around the butts. 

Russ 

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 05:45:43 pm »
Bowyers!

I'm considering a bamboo-backed Ipe & Hickory bow build.  One experienced bowyer warned me about trying to glue-up flat-sawn Hickory to another flat sawn piece (poor adhesion) noting that quarter sawn-to-flat sawn is no problem.  Also wondering if Ipe and Hickory grain orientation is a consideration when laminating pieces together.

Thanks!
Mike

Are you talking about a bamboo/ipe/hickory tri-lam?

Offline SwingsAndArrows

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:49:42 pm »
Thanks Russ!

And adb, not sure!  I was thinking boo(back)-hickory(lam)-ipe(lam)-hickory(belly).  So this is very much a tapered lam bow.  Not very "primitive" I suppose, but definitely all wood.  Hope that doesn't get me kicked off the forum  :^)

Mike

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:04:44 pm »
I have only made a couple of tri-lams, but I would put the ipe on the belly rather than the hickory. It's better in compression.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:08:05 pm »
Imho use the ipe' where it does the most good, in the belly to utilise its strenght in compression.
I think russ advice to use the hickory or the bamboo as backing is a good one.
If you still want to make a multilam make it a boo/hick/Ipe' or better yet change the hickory  with hard maple for example and save the hick for another build.

Good luck /Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:39:05 pm »
If you still want to make a multilam make it a boo/hick/Ipe' or better yet change the hickory  with hard maple for example and save the hick for another build.

X2

Offline SwingsAndArrows

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »
Thanks Gents!  I believe I'll go Boo/Maple/Hickory based on your sound advice.

Good Shooting!
Mike

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 08:02:25 pm »
I have only made a couple of tri-lams, but I would put the ipe on the belly rather than the hickory. It's better in compression.

I have made more than a couple of tri-lams, and I would completely agree. Hickory sucks as belly wood IMHO.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 08:03:10 pm »
Thanks Gents!  I believe I'll go Boo/Maple/Hickory based on your sound advice.

Good Shooting!
Mike

No, no... boo/maple/ipe!

Offline SwingsAndArrows

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
Derrr...RTFP, Mike!  :^)  Ipe on the belly, got it...finally.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »
Go make us proud!!