Author Topic: problem with new bow  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Strongbow88

problem with new bow
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:02 pm »
I have already posted a message on my new bow but now I have A problem.  Ok, both linbs are the same length and when iI finished tillering it and after a couple dozen shots I sealed it with Deer fat. The tiller opened up about 1/4 of an inch more on the top limb. but now after about a hundred shots it opens up about 1/4 of a inch more on the bottom limb and follows the string about 1/4 of an inch more on the bottom limb. I am happy with the wait of the bow, but should I take some scrapes of the top limb to even it out or should I just leave it alone.
                                           Thanks for the help

Danny Johnson

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: problem with new bow
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 11:32:23 pm »
Are you sure its done curing?....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:46:02 pm »
yeah its been a year since I cut the tree down. And at least eight monthes rughed out in bow form I worked it real slow.
Danny Johnson

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:53:19 pm »
Hmmm, gonna take someone smarter then me to figure this out, good luck ???....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Aries

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 01:06:35 am »
You have a working bow that shoots arrows, unless you plan on doing heavy shooting with it, just let it be. I think you should just learn from you mistakes and use your new knowledge on the next bow ;). JMO  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 01:15:50 am »
Honestly, when you shoot self bows I don't think it is a good idea to look all that close once you get them shot in. I was storing all my bows in a big 55 gallon drum, I didnt realize for along time that the end inside the drum had a higher humidity than the end sticking out, everytime I would pull a bow from the drum that had been in their for a while the tiller would be way off. All they needed was a little time to accimate the moisture. Steve

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 02:42:05 am »
If the bow shoots sweet and is accurate then I would leave it.  Sounds like its just getting shot in and you are seeing the how the bow reacted to the shooting. Often bows do need a little touch up after they have been tillered. Usually I'm carrying a scraper with me when I shoot in a new bow, and am making subtle adjustments to the tiller as I put arrows through it. My feeling is a bow with 500 shots is barely broken in, when over a lifetime hopefully it may take 100,000 + shots, and the break-in process is often longer than most realize..

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:32:41 am »
Leave it and enjoy it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 09:53:26 pm »
thanks guys I think I will Just leave it alone, but my fear was that the bottom limb would continue to follow the string more and bend more than the top as described by paul comstock in traditional bower bible volume two I think.
                                                    Thanks Again
Danny Johnson