Author Topic: basic tools  (Read 8160 times)

Slaughter

basic tools
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:08:59 pm »
Ok as I sit here running through the forum trying to learn something before I start my first project I see the plans for a sit down bench. It looks to me like a simple shaving bench like is used for shaving oak splits and shingles with a draw knife. Am I correct in this??
And with that my next question is can someone give me a list of the minimum and most basic tools I am going to need for this? Please.

jamie

Re: basic tools
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:12:55 pm »
 hand axe, farriers rasp or stanley shureform, light rasp, cabinet scraper or pocket knife. or my fav a big pile of broken chert ;D

Slaughter

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:16:12 pm »
Thanks again Jamie you seem to be johnny on the spot for me today :) what exactly is a cabinet scraper?? maybe I know it by another name Ive never heard of one.pocket knives I have plenty of.

jamie

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:20:05 pm »
. cabinet scraper is a flat piece of hardened steel that has an edge rolled over. once you learn to roll an edge on a cabinet scraper they are awesome. pocket knife will work just as well

Slaughter

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:22:29 pm »
Ok so what is its purpose in bow making?? <dumb newbie question for the day>

wanabehunter

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:34:16 pm »
id say spend a little cash it will save you alot of frustration and work in the long run

Bishop

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:22:14 pm »
i am working on a red oak board bow as my first attempt and since i dont own a band saw i found a block plane to be great at removing excess wood, i have to give credit to this forum for making that suggestion. the stanley surform mentioned is great also.
good luck
Bishop

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 10:27:45 pm »
Ah, Bishop, isn't that plane great?

Here is the list of my favorite hand tools:

Hatchet, Japanese style hand saws (I seem to be the only one here who likes those though), farrier's rasp, 4 in 1 wood rasp, large mill bastard file, large and small wood files, cabinet scrapers and the steel for rolling the edge, block plane, safety glasses!, and two large wood clamps for clamping the work down to my workbench. I don't own a band saw, and seem to survive fine. Also, smaller clamps of various kinds are nice to have.

I also have a draw knife I love, but only for certain jobs.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

bjordnolf

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:58:49 pm »
I really only use a bandsaw and a drawknife (mostly as a scraper) and a chainsaw file for nocks.
thanks

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:07:27 am »
My site may help you get stared. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Aries

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:08:05 am »
Before I got my band saw( A rigid bandsaw purchased at a garage sail in near perfect condition for 100$ :) ) My main tools for removing large amounts of wood were; a sharp draw knife, and a machete. Recently i have retired the machete and do most of my final bow shaping, and tillering with a large, square, rasp, very coarse on one side and less on the other. around my parts we usually call them horse shoein rasps :)   Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:10:07 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Slaughter

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 09:41:31 am »
Thank you everyone I think that about covers it ( I hope it does)
Ill be making a trip to lowes and home depot tomorrow to pick up a few things and try to get started. My camera is kind of tempramental so I'll do the best I can about posting pics as I go along.
Thank you all again for the advice and encouragement.

Tony

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 09:41:54 am »
I have a very small, flexible bladed drawknife, and it works really well, gives me a lot of control. I use that for most of the work. And a medium sized rasp and a hachet. I will sometimes use a pocket knife for a scraper.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Slaughter

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 10:05:34 am »
I have you pages bookmarked George and am reading them carefully........I might just be missing it but I see you say to start with a 3/4 inch thickness but I dont see a recomended Width??