Author Topic: the skid bow  (Read 3354 times)

Offline bushboy

the skid bow
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:18:48 pm »
So I'm working in a remote location in northern canada and had the itch to build a rough bow.I found a hunk o mystery wood that I liberated from a pallet c/w nail holes and all.the pallet has been sitting outside for god knows how long and thought what the heck.I made it 6' long pryamid design.I made a scraper and with a skilsaw and a angle grinder c/w sandpaper grinding disc and a piece of plastic bailing twine and a couple hours work this is what it looks like..full draw tomorrow.now to made some arrows lol! Feels like about 50# plus draw weight,not primitive but still so far functional.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: the skid bow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:20:02 pm »
UUUUhhhh COOL!!!!
It loks good.... but I think its a bit round in the handle....
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 08:37:44 pm »
 Cool project. Tiller looks pretty good from my seat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:12:58 pm »
A skid bow from skid row!  Atta boy! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:43:55 pm »
Thx's for the comments guys!my point is a shootable bow can be made in a short timespan with limited resorces to the same effect. Just wear safety glasses!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:50:24 pm »
All it has to do is store energy and release it into the arrow! The rest is details.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:54:07 pm »
thats what i'm talking about!...making do with what you got around you, making your own tools.
thats the ancestral way. it'll do the job...it has for 1000s of years!  :)
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:55:21 pm »
Love it. Hate to see what ya can do with good wood and tools! Very McGyver
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:02:57 pm »
I absolutely love the handle, I wouldn't change it a bit. Nice job!!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 11:05:52 pm »
That Is so cool I hope it holds togeather
I like osage

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 11:11:41 pm »
Pulled it out to bout 26 a dozen time and no word.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:14:49 pm »
That's really cool! 8)  the old adage "if there's the will, there's a way" is proven once more!  Got any arrows made yet?  Josh

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 07:37:03 pm »
@ gun doc,yeah been busy @ work so no not yet,maybe tomorrow.the tiller is far from prefect,floor tillered ,a couple of scrape on one limb ,long string looked descent ,then right to short brace .put it on the tree and snapped a pic.got lucky on this one.I think of this experiment as a urban survival bow.my bud took a full draw without any further work.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:17:16 pm »
Here's a couple of nail holes in the lower inner limb.the upper limb took 1-1/2 of set and the lower 1-1/4.some may think it's an abomitation , but I wanted to know how fast I could make a hunting weight bow from crap!lol!

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:00 pm »
Well, I would say you would do good with a hunting knife, piece of pallet and some odds and ends found around the shop ;) and to think I spent 25 bucks on a scraper cauz my huntingknife was making my fingers sore doing the scraping ::) don't tell my wife. Now since you are up in canada we need a pict of a dead moose killed with that bow. LOL!
Greg