Author Topic: White Mulberry ELB  (Read 9871 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: White Mulberry ELB
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:37:28 pm »
Looks pretty but I didn't see a full draw picture, did I miss it somehow?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline white wood

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:30:57 pm »
very nice bow. little character in the grain very nice. how did you like working with mulberry?                   -whitewood
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:37:23 pm »
Can you send a pic at full draw?

jcougar

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 11:41:51 pm »
I don't think mulberry's working properties can really be compared to many other woods.  Honestly, the stave I have worked are a pain to get to one growth ring.  The rings are thick and easy to differentiate, but are much harder to cut through than osage or locust.  The rings just seem to not want to seperate at the early wood, which is good thing, I guess.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 02:18:06 am »
Good looking bow. Nice job on the tips and I like the cork handle.
Gordon

Far East Archer

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 04:03:09 am »
I don't think mulberry's working properties can really be compared to many other woods.  Honestly, the stave I have worked are a pain to get to one growth ring.  The rings are thick and easy to differentiate, but are much harder to cut through than osage or locust.  The rings just seem to not want to seperate at the early wood, which is good thing, I guess.

I know exactly what you are talking about! Tried this while back thinking, "oh this will be a piece of cake, Look at those thick rings..." It was horrible!! lol But I love mulberry, nice wood. So white mulberry has no heartwood?? If so then I must have a crap load of white mulberry here. Ive always been disappointed when I cut a mulberry and don't see any heartwood, I thought I just had crap red mulberry but I guess it was just white mulberry all this time. :)

Very nice bow by the way! Looks lovely and the horn nocks look very well made! Got a FD pic? ;D

-Alex

jcougar

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:56:25 am »
White mulberry does have heartwood, which this bow is entirely made of(I'm pretty sure that it is white mulberry, since the bark and leaves match the pics in my tree guide).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:59:51 am by jcougar »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:56:58 am »
Cool lookin bow, have never cut a mullberry - thought it was yellow like osage. Will have to try it one day.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Far East Archer

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:00:40 am »
White mulberry does have heartwood, which this bow is entirely made of(I'm pretty sure that it is white mulberry, since the bark and leaves match the pics in my tree guide).

lol my bad.. Guess I really do got crap mulberry lol

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:14:17 pm »
I never did see a full draw and working through photobucket to look for it is rather tedious. If you would like to have this bow submitted for Nov Self Bow of the Month, you might post it directly on PA's site or email it to me.
Thanks.
OldBow
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

jcougar

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:18:53 pm »
Thanks to all!  Don, I haven't had a chance to get a full draw pic.  As soon as I do I'll post it.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 12:29:39 am »
She's a beauty. You did a great job on those horn nocks too. Looks like something the Thompson brothers may have carried.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 12:45:03 am »
Very nice bow as always J.  8) Full draw looks right on!   
  Alex, Could you have Paper Mulberry?(Broussonetia papyrifera)  In the Moraceae family. I had a large paper mulberry tree in my yard when I lived in Savannah, Ga. years ago.  The leaves feel like velvet and some leaves are lobed.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC