Author Topic: My First Hobby  (Read 11320 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: My First Hobby
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:18 pm »
I'm really surprised there are so many snake people on this forum.  I was expecting a lot of ,"only good snake is a dead snake" kind of stuff.

Baby racer

Rough Green Snake
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:31 pm »
Only just spotted this thread.  Interesting stuff, as I'm a reptile owner/breeder as well!

I'm based in the UK, and that means there are quite a few different regulations on what we can/can't keep.  My current list of reps include a royal python, numerous cornsnakes, a couple of mexican black kingsnakes, a brazilian rainbow boa and two STUNNING Suriname Red Tail boas (absolutely breathtaking snakes!) along with the usual boring bearded dragons etc.  Also have a couple of really rare Agama Mwanzae or "spiderman lizards" that I'm hoping to breed at some point in the future.

Here's a quick example of an average quality Suriname Red Tail Boa Constrictor:

And one of a typical Agama Mwanzae (see why they're called Spiderman Lizards?)

Would love to have some venomous snakes at some point (I'm a big fan of Gaboon Vipers and Eyelash Vipers!) but the legal requirements over here are crazy.  You have to pay a fortune just to get the certificate, and you can only get the certificate providing you have a suitable reptile room that passes venomous snake specifications.  Although I suppose that stops all the 16 year olds getting Gaboon Vipers because it's "cool"...
     Will, move to Florida, you can probably buy any of them at a Flea market.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 11:33:18 pm »
South Florida has a lot of exotics you can collect... if you can catch them.  Saw some similar agamas down at fairchild tropical gardens in Miami.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline WillS

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »
Ah yeah, those are the Common Agamas, or Flat Headed Rock Agamas.  Common as muck compared to the Mwanzae haha! Had quite a few of them, but it's the Mwanzae I'm trying to breed, as they're just that little bit more spectacular!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 05:43:46 pm »
Here's a Photo of my East African Carpet Python...

He's very friendly and doesn't nip at all...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 05:46:13 pm »
Just kidding...   >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline WillS

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 07:49:33 pm »
That's a stunning Gabby.  I love how similar their bodies are to Blood Pythons, but with those evil viper head shapes.  Amazing.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 04:28:20 am »

-gus

ok how many people has it eaten 5? 6?
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 04:26:23 pm »

-gus

How the hell does that thing move? Its a python? It looks kinda like a death adder.

Jon

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:56 pm »

-gus

i wonder how many bows it would back? SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline WillS

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 04:49:54 pm »
It's a picture of a Gaboon Viper, not a python.  It has a similar body to a blood python, but it's most definitely not a python haha.

It wouldn't back any bows, as they're tiny.  Average length is about 40", with some big females getting to about 60" max.  They do have the largest fangs of any venomoid though, at 2 inches long.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 05:01:35 pm »
It's a picture of a Gaboon Viper, not a python.  It has a similar body to a blood python, but it's most definitely not a python haha.

It wouldn't back any bows, as they're tiny.  Average length is about 40", with some big females getting to about 60" max.  They do have the largest fangs of any venomoid though, at 2 inches long.

That's one badass ugly as f$%& snake then! Wouldn't want to tread on one fore sure.

Jon

Offline darwin

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:58 pm »
I have a Russian tortoise, there used to be a native species of tortoise in Texas i think its endangered now due to fire ants, but we used to see them at our ranch all the time. Always thought snakes were pretty cool but i think the tortoise is the only reptile i will have for awhile at least until he dies, which should be sometime in the next 50 years.

By the way the tortoises name is Darwin :)

Offline Gus

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 04:48:08 am »
It's a Gaboon as Jon said...

Very Cool Snake.
I wouldn't kill one to back a bow.
But I'd love to give it a try with Just the right deceased Gaboon or two...
I'm thinking Short, Wide, Paddle Bow...
It would look Spectacular...

-gus

Conroe, TX