Author Topic: My First Hobby  (Read 11322 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: My First Hobby
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »
Being a exterminator I couldn't disagree more on the spider issue. :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 06:06:54 pm »
Being a exterminator I couldn't disagree more on the spider issue. :laugh:

Lol, when I find spiders in the house I just leave them be.... even big ones with a 3 inch diameter (legs).  They haven't bothered me yet.  I used to be afraid of them but after you hold a few tarantulas the ones in the house seem kind of lame.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 06:35:12 pm »
Always loved snakes had an albino corn snake for years...I think it was a snow.
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 12:22:55 am »
Sweet pics Tim.  I was drawn to bats (to the point of becoming a bat biologist!) for some of those same reasons you were drawn to snakes...misunderstood, fascinating, mysterious animals!  I also like to catch snakes.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 01:22:27 am »
Dang Carson, that's a big atrox!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 01:55:51 am »
Yes Sir...

I just traded a pretty little sub adult Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake to a buddy of mine for several nice DOR (Dead On Road) snakes.
The Pygmy went into a Parks display to educate city dwellers.
It should lead a pampered life from here on out.  :)

I love snakes...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:43 am »
Sweet pics Tim.  I was drawn to bats (to the point of becoming a bat biologist!) for some of those same reasons you were drawn to snakes...misunderstood, fascinating, mysterious animals!  I also like to catch snakes.

Show off!  ;D

Offline Marks

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 01:10:08 pm »
Around here the poisonous ones go bye bye and the non poison crawl away (sometimes relocated) especially if near homes and people. I love dealing with snakes. I usually catch and play with them for a bit and send em on. I love how each and overy one has a personality of its own.

Quick question...I've only come in contact with one pigmy rattler so I know little to nothing about em. It was on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere so we left him be. How dangerous are they as far as poison goes? 

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 03:07:21 pm »
How dangerous are they as far as poison goes?
  The toxin the snakes have is technically a venom.  Only one recorded species that is poisonous to eat.

As far as pigmies go I don't think there are any recorded deaths.  Maybe for children.  I know two people that have been bitten and they're perfectly fine now.  If you get bit just go to the hospital.  They'll take care of you.

Offline WillS

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 04:59:54 pm »
Only just spotted this thread.  Interesting stuff, as I'm a reptile owner/breeder as well!

I'm based in the UK, and that means there are quite a few different regulations on what we can/can't keep.  My current list of reps include a royal python, numerous cornsnakes, a couple of mexican black kingsnakes, a brazilian rainbow boa and two STUNNING Suriname Red Tail boas (absolutely breathtaking snakes!) along with the usual boring bearded dragons etc.  Also have a couple of really rare Agama Mwanzae or "spiderman lizards" that I'm hoping to breed at some point in the future.

Here's a quick example of an average quality Suriname Red Tail Boa Constrictor:

And one of a typical Agama Mwanzae (see why they're called Spiderman Lizards?)

Would love to have some venomous snakes at some point (I'm a big fan of Gaboon Vipers and Eyelash Vipers!) but the legal requirements over here are crazy.  You have to pay a fortune just to get the certificate, and you can only get the certificate providing you have a suitable reptile room that passes venomous snake specifications.  Although I suppose that stops all the 16 year olds getting Gaboon Vipers because it's "cool"...

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 05:51:41 pm »
Pygmies are venomous enough...  :)

I have been bitten more times than I can count by non venomous snakes.

I've been tagged three times by hot snakes all by the age of 13.
Once by an Albino Pygmy I caught the day before.
I was 13, it was bad enough. Spent a few days in the Hospital.
Had some tissue damage and nerve damage but most of it healed within a year.

The other two times were by Copperheads and while not good, were not nearly as bad as the Pygmy.

I still love Pygmies and Coppers... I kinda feel bonded to them now...

I am pretty much Anti Exotic or Designer Snake.
Try not to keep any for any length of time.
I'll trade them or skin them.

Hope never to be "Bonded" by a Gaboon, Cobra or Mamba... among others...   ::)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 05:56:42 pm »
Only one recorded species that is poisonous to eat.

yep the japanesse grass snake is the only one that is poisonous. although im sure most other snakes don't taste that great, but i may be wrong. never eaten snake before...not yet anyway :P SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Marks

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 06:39:13 pm »
I use the term poisonous generally. Thats is the term most people say around here.

That red tail boa is amazing looking. Never seen one. Its like 2 snakes rolled into one.

Lets see some more pictures fellas.

Offline WillS

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56:49 pm »
I'll get some pics up of my collection in a bit.  The red tails are my absolute fave.  You do end up paying a fortune though, just for the colour of the tail.  Worth it, in my opinion!

As far as poisonous/venomous terminology goes, the general rule of thumb is, "venom is injected, poison is ingested"

Interestingly enough, a lot of venomous snakes are legal to keep as long as they're "rear fanged" which means the venom injecting teeth are towards the back of the mouth.  They have to get hold and chew for a bit to inject you.  Hognoses and mangrove snakes are rear ranged.  Hognoses are plain ugly but I love mangroves.

I got tagged by my royal python while feeding the other day, he missed the rat and found my hand.  Took ages for him to let go.  Got a tooth right under my thumb nail which wasn't much fun!

Offline Lemos

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 10:41:28 pm »
Ok Mark you asked for it. This is my jungle carpet. recently deceased albino ball. and my tangerine albino Honduran