Author Topic: Black Walnut Limbow "The Streak"  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Black Walnut Limbow "The Streak"
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »
My newest project made from a black walnut limb that I took from a 12" diameter tree cut 1 year ago in April.

I'm going to let the narrower top limb, the length and width dictate the outcome as far as weight with this one. I should be able to end up with 64" NTN with 1 1/2" width to 12" from the tips tapered to 1/2".

The stave tells me to narrow the handle slightly with 1 1/2" to the fades with a partially bending handle at full draw.

Because of the high crown I will try to maintain a flat belly.

I hope to be achieve 40-45@28 but if it should come out lighter it won't be a problem.

Because of a check and small knot on the top limb I am going to remove 3/4" and move the handle down 1 1/2" which with a slight heat correction top and bottom limb should make this bow almost center shot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline half eye

Re: Black Walnut Limbow "The Streak"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:24:08 pm »
You got that lookin real good Fred. All the BW bows I've made were vaery smooth and well mannered.
rich

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:42:55 pm »
thanks for sharing, it'll be nice to see how this one goes for you!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:57:52 pm »
Rich, the 1'st black walnut from the trunk of this one that I ever worked came out sweet.

Besides hitting designated draw weight on the mark of of 50@28 this bow really spits an arrow.

I've never owned a chronograph but have shot some super fast trad bows. I'll give this one a 170+.

And now we get back to the limbow. The rings on this are thick and very thin with spring growth. I think it "Should" make a nice bow.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 11:08:14 pm »
I literally just cut a big black walnut tree today that must weigh atleast 300 pounds. I have no experience with walnut so Im interested in seeing how this turns out
I like osage

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 03:59:48 am »
Very nice Fred and sound like it's a quick one :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:44:08 am »
The first bow wasn't finished in the last pick I took. Here it is before adding the handle wrap.

Joec123able, I split the tree into staves and the bark peeled off in one piece except where I had to work around a few knots. I used the wood just under the bark for the back.

Gun Doc gave me some excellent help on the design. I'd never worked walnut and never liked bend in the handle bows until this one. The handle actually only bends at close to full draw.

Thanks Kip, hope I can keep learning and get as good at this as you are.