Author Topic: Reinforcing self nocks  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Craig/Fl

Reinforcing self nocks
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:37 pm »
Hi all, I've always used POC for arrows and reinforced my self nocks with some type of thread to be on the safe side.  I'm kinda going for a different look these days and would like to get away from using thread. Is POC safe to use without reinforcement or is there better choice shaft material such as ash better suited for this.
Thanks, Craig

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Reinforcing self nocks
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:49:43 pm »
Craig; Just my opinion, I'd reinforce all self nocks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:18:20 pm »
I diddo what Mullet said!

I'm not sure if they wrap the hardwood reinforcing nock inserts?  The ones that go perpendicular to the string groove before the self nock has been cut in.

How about horn, bone or antler.

If you are buying all your POC, it might be fun to try some other materials.

Good luck, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:46:05 pm »
I always reinforce self nocke with sinew or thread. I have reinforce a few with with hardwood and even rawhide spines like Derick suggested. With a spine reinforcement I don't think sinew or thread wrap is necessary.
 I have a set of POC arrows with rawhide reinforced self nocks that are probably 10 years old. The only one that broke a self nock was the result of an almost robin hood shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 03:35:00 pm »
Try using back sinew and Loc Tite Professional super glue. It will be almost clear and non obtrusive, but still working its job.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 06:37:33 pm »
Could you try to find some thread close to the same color as your arrow shafts?  It might blend in and be hard to notice.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:20:57 pm »
Fine white silk thread also goes clear with a coat of varnish. It is pretty much invisible actually.

Patrick

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:49:50 am »
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I have a few of the materials some of you mentioned and will give them a try.  Looking forward to getting started on this project.