Author Topic: poc shaft finish  (Read 1525 times)

Offline paulsemp

poc shaft finish
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:14:49 pm »
I have had poc shafts sitting around  for awhile. I have only finished with regular stain in the past . I have never been really happy with any of the finish I have put on them before . what do some of you guys like to use on these shafts? I was thinking they may need pre stain. also does anyone know if fletch glue sticks to tru oil?

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: poc shaft finish
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:23:06 pm »
duco sticks just fine to tru oil.  So does super glue, but I would not use it on fletching.

Russ   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:45:19 pm »
I have used it all to seal shafts from spray, dipping, and wiping in all kinds of sealers. Its hard to beat Tung Oil rubbed in. I have found that the thicker urathane type sealers can peel up around the point taper and ruin an otherwise good arrow. Oils penetrate and cant peel off. Just my opinion of course. I use Saunders NVP glue on any and all materials and finishes with great results.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:00:23 pm »
Hey pearl,  how about fletch tite on tung oil?   I know some you guys don't like it  but that is all I have. I wrap all my fletchings with sinew. so I do not rely on the glue only . what do you think ?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:02:13 pm »
Im sure it would work Paul. Use it up and try some Saunders next time around. See what you think.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »
Thanks PD

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:48:48 pm »
thanks for the info on Saunders NVP glue. I'll have to give it a try.
I've been using both hide glue and fletchtite and not really happy with either...even when both ends are sinewed.
fletchtite seems to work sometimes.... and that bugs me.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 02:05:25 am »
I have the impression that Fletchtite was formulated to work well with the lacquer finishes sold by Bohning.  I seldom even try using it on top of other finishes.  I do find super glues to work well on most substrates/ finishes.  Duco works well, too.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 08:40:32 am »
I just wipe on Spar Urethane.  Duco sticks well to it.