Author Topic: how is it applied  (Read 1007 times)

Offline burn em up chuck

how is it applied
« on: April 26, 2013, 07:04:56 am »
   how is the 5/8s rule applied to making longbow type bows? I know it's some type of ratio but thats as far as my knowledge goes on this subject.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline WillS

Re: how is it applied
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:22:46 am »
If you Google it there's lots of info out there on this.

I personally tend to ignore it when making ELBs though.  The "rule" is fairly straightforward - the width/depth ratio needs to be 8/5.  If your bow is 1" wide, the depth needs to be 5/8" (1" is 8/8)

Here's a quote from the GNAS (UK) regs.
Quote from: GNAS (UK)
At no point shall the depth of the bow, measured from back to belly, be less than 5/8 (five eighths) of the width of the bow at the same section.

Trouble is, getting that accurate along a stave (especially if you have knots or deflex/reflex areas) is quite tricky.  If your front profile looks like an ELB, and it's tillered properly, chances are it will apply anyway as far as I can tell.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:30:05 am »
something tells me Del will contribute to this thread. but what Will said is good. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:43:32 am »
The trick is to design the bow narrow enough, so you don't get below the 5/8 rule during tillering.  The midlimbs are most crucial; it's not difficult to get a 6/8 ration at the handle and a 7/8 ratio at the tips, but the midlimbs are the thinnest sections generally.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:47:02 am »
    thank you for the help. The general description was exactly what I was looking for. I have some narrow bow material to use and this gives me a place to start.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club