Author Topic: Making Limbs?  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

Making Limbs?
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:15:52 am »
ok going down the club tonight and a guy is giving me his compound bows risor. he's giving it to me because the limb broke and the risor is all that is left. my question is can i possibly make some recurve limbs for it? or would it just be easier to find some ready made recurve limbs that fit it? i will have some pics up tonight or tommorow. anyone ever tried this? thanks, SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Making Limbs?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:15:36 am »
What's the make and model?

First thought is no, since the geometry is so different.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:46 am »
I've seen people put recurve limbs on compound risers before
I like osage

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:53:14 pm »
i believe that's called a "warf" might want to put this over on the leatherwall, theres a couple warf gurus over there
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:43:33 pm »
instead of making limbs to fit that riser , I would start off with a nice simple d bow  of oak or hickory.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »
SS... have you actually made a bow yet? Of any sort?

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:19:14 pm »
Yes I have made a bow but it broke because of a chrysal and because I let someone else draw it. Im also working on another longbow. SS

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »
OK... I'll rephrase that... have you made a bow that is still functional? Why don't you start by doing that? There are no short cuts here... get some decent wood, go with whatever bow design blows your hair back, start making some sawdust, and get some help here.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:35:57 pm »
OK... I'll rephrase that... have you made a bow that is still functional? Why don't you start by doing that? There are no short cuts here... get some decent wood, go with whatever bow design blows your hair back, start making some sawdust, and get some help here.

Now adb, I do agree with that statement!
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 03:43:02 pm »
Go sign up on Tradgang.com. Vist the Bowyers Bench. Guys on there make warf bows all the time. Asking here will only get you in trouble, natural materials only remember. Plus, those guys know how to answer your questions. Check it out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:43:44 pm »
I recommend starting with a board bow. Cheap, easy access, dry already. Sorry joec123able, couldn't help myself!!  8)

But I am serious... board bows are a great place to start. Check out George's website.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 03:48:31 pm »
I recommend starting with a board bow. Cheap, easy access, dry already. Sorry joec123able, couldn't help myself!!  8)

But I am serious... board bows are a great place to start. Check out George's website.

Yes I'm not saying they don't make bows I'm just saying compared to wood you cut your self there alittle more unpredictable. I did make ONE board bow over a year ago it turned out more then successful and had no backing there definetly a good place to start
I like osage

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:50:50 pm »
not many boards in the UK, there might be a few ash boards at a lumber store. but the only real boards are pine... hmmm... i wonder sinew backed pine :o  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D only kiding

also on YouTube

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 03:59:44 pm »

Yes I'm not saying they don't make bows I'm just saying compared to wood you cut your self there alittle more unpredictable. I did make ONE board bow over a year ago it turned out more then successful and had no backing there definetly a good place to start

I don't understand how you can make such a brash statement after making ONE board bow?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:17 pm »

I don't understand how you can make such a brash statement after making ONE board bow?

Because after a few thousand shots through that bow it decided to shatter and give me a black eye and there was no reason for it
I like osage