Author Topic: natural paint  (Read 4254 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: natural paint
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 03:09:54 pm »
Does Oregon grape, or salal grow there? If so the roots make a yellowish paint. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 03:28:19 pm »
nope Oregon grape doesn't grow here. thanks CMB I will give it a try
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:08:51 pm »
Oregon grape grows in most of Montana. Looks like a little holly plant. Get a book on primitive earth paints.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 01:14:21 am »
My brother made dye stain by adding steel wool into a jar of white vinager after two weeks to a month it turned dark red, he put it ond a osage bow and it made it look like red oak stain finish.
Iron in vinegar is something I use to stain oak.   On oak  ( and perhaps other high tannin woods) the result is a dark gray to black.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 02:58:49 am »
The most stable paints will be made from ground mineral pigments.  Plant dyes will change color over time.

Charcoal is good for black.  Soot is 10 times better.  Artists call soot "lamp black".
Rust is good for, well, rust.  You can try heating the rust for a different shade.
You can get various brownish colors from good 'ole dirt. Mix with oil for a darker color.

These three colors (black, red, brown) are the most common colors seen on Amerindian artifacts, for obvious reasons.

For other colors, the easiest thing to do is go to your local supermarket and cruise the juice isle.  You can find mostly purples, reds, and oranges there.  Cruise the condiments isle next.  Mustard makes a great yellow dye.  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 08:46:02 pm »
just looked at oregon grape on wikipedia and i'm sure i've never seen it around here before, but i'll keep my eye open for it. this morning i tried making paint out of a piece of scorio rock first i took a piece of glass and scraped the rock until i had about 2 tablespoons or so of very fine dust then i mixed it with warm hide glue i tried it on a scrap of HHB and it worked really good it's a real dark red and looks great. i'm still working on the charcoal but so far it looks great.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:37 pm »
  Mustard makes a great yellow dye.  :)
I believe the color in most "yellow mustard"  comes from the addition of turmeric.    Just using turmeric alone might give a brighter, or more stable color.     TRon
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers