Author Topic: this drives me crazy  (Read 2766 times)

Offline sleek

this drives me crazy
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:41:26 pm »
This plant I see for decoration everywhere, but I know nothing about it. Anybody got a clue? I'm in tulsa oklahoma if that helps and the bark is smooth and a greenish color.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline k-hat

Re: this drives me crazy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:47:28 pm »
I believe that's crepe myrtle.  It's all over here as well.  think they plant it because it's pretty fast growing.  Ken75 makes lots of real nice crepe myrtle bows.  Just watch out for the popo when you're cutting them from the medians ;) >:D

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »
Sleek, I am 100% sure that is crape myrtle. They are used more for decoration that anything else. I don't know how good it would be for bow wood, I have seen some bows made from it though, so I would assume it is usable. I don't think it's native to the US, but it is really common now.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:02:23 pm »
Yup, that's crepe myrtle.  You have my permission to cut that stuff anywhere you want.  So if anyone asks just tell them that you have permission.  Also,  an orange traffic vest helps with the legitimacy.  Cut some and see how you like it.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline hatcha

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:42:48 pm »
Yup, that's crepe myrtle.  You have my permission to cut that stuff anywhere you want.  So if anyone asks just tell them that you have permission.  Also,  an orange traffic vest helps with the legitimacy.  Cut some and see how you like it.

Is there nothing a hi-vis vest won't help you get away with??  :D :D

I foresee an imminent flooding of crepe myrtle on the trade section...  ;)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »
Yup. I am bringing some to the Classic. Pretty snappy stuff, so far. I got one I am working on now out of the stuff.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:51:34 pm »
A flashing yellow strobe light on the roof of your truck will go good with your orange vest  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline raghorns

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:50 pm »
When I drive through Tulsa I'm always amazed at how much of that stuff there is....very pretty....but it would be prettier at full draw! Maybe they would let you keep the piece you cut in jail so you have something to work on? lol

Lyle

Live Life at Full Draw

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:50 pm »
When the plant gets a thick trunk it will send out really straight shoots with no branches from the base of the trunk.  Those are the ones you want to go for.  Unless of course you want the character and bendiness.  You might harvest some arrow shafts without a problem though.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:44 am »
 I cut a bunch of crepe myrtle on a landscape job today. It was only 1" in diameter and had lots of side branching so I didn't save any. It does maker good bows. Ken75 made quite a few bows with crepe myrtle and a guy that used to come here to PA, Thimo made 100# bows with crepe myrtle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 04:34:58 am »
Wow, well thanks guys... Taco Bueno might be missing their crepe myrtle in the morning....

I will keep an eye out for places getting cleared of it. I see it often enough cut up. Thanks for the info guys, looks like another bow wood is about to be abused :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 09:19:53 am »
Wow, well thanks guys... Taco Bueno might be missing their crepe myrtle in the morning....

I will keep an eye out for places getting cleared of it. I see it often enough cut up. Thanks for the info guys, looks like another bow wood is about to be abused :)
I'm sure taco bueno don't pay much. Maybe you could drop off a handsaw and $5 for the night staff there  ;)

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 12:49:44 pm »
The thing about crepe myrtle is it just comes right back. I cut one level to the ground last spring and it is still putting up new growth like crazy. I mow over it all the time and it just keeps on coming back. I even put a burn barrel over it and burned it for several days.  I'm gonna have to poison the stump soon I guess. Most people around here cut it down to a 3-4ft bare trunk every winter and it will be back out by the fall. It grows fast. You could cut a tree down to make staves and get some more staves in just a few years from the same tree i bet. I've got a bow roughed out of it in the garage and waiting for it to season.