Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Tanning Hides

<< < (4/5) > >>

Jesse:
The way I remove the hair is put it in water till the hair comes off. A stream works good. Put some rocks on top so it doesnt float away ;D. Putting it in watter takes a long time and is smelly but you get a nice hair free rawhide.

Bent Rig:
Putting the hide in water and ashes from a fire will remove the hair  ;).

El Destructo:
Is there any way to do a Hair off Tan Job ....where it don't stink up the whole Garage?? I use water and lime....in a 55 gallon Plastic Trash Can....and within a week...it smells like there is a Dead Body in the Garage....and the Hair is still not slipping....also I would like to hear of a perfect way to make Deer rawhide....because I use a lot of it for Bows....Handles Backing and Quivers

Hillbilly:
I like to dry scrape. No smell. No wet, slimy hide. No wet, frozen hands. Just rack it up and flesh it, let it dry a few days, then scrape the hair and grain off with a sharp scraper. Works good for buckskin or rawhide either one. And another advantage-you don't have to scrape it all at once- you can work on it a few minutes here and there until its done.

joeturc:
Go to this site... http: //rittelsupplies.net/Free_Downloads _folder/EZ-2000%20Instructions.pdf You will find all the info you need. It's not traditional but it's one of the best "consumer" tans you can get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version