Author Topic: Stave with deflex  (Read 1186 times)

Offline NTProf

Stave with deflex
« on: April 20, 2013, 02:38:22 am »
If a tree stave has a couple of inches of deflex (tips curve toward the archer), can it still be made into a bow and can it still be heat treated into reflex? And will it lose that reflex? Or should I look for a straight or reflexed stave?

Online sleek

Re: Stave with deflex
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:55:43 am »
Deflexed bows are awesome! You can get the tips reflexed just a tad, and make for some sweet shooters. Deflex reflex are the sweetest bows to shoot in my opinion.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:10:16 am »
Yea no reason a deflexed stave wouldn't make a bow but depending on how much deflex it has it will probably be a slow bow. I think you should reflex the stave and recurve the tips on it
I like osage

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:10:52 am »
Wot he said...
Don't waste your life looking for the perfect stave. They are like the rest of us, we all have our faults and that where the charm lies.
Go with the flow.
Bit of gentle reflex in the last third, or flip the tips.
Or if you want to try something different, build it backwards. They tell us it's wrong... but hey, they said the Titanic wouldn't sink and that bankers are worth their bonus
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:44:52 pm »
What the other guys said! I'm working on a bow for my daughter as we speak that was deflexed pretty severely. I just reflexed the ends with heat and wallah it's a pretty little recurve now!
                  Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 01:59:01 pm »
What kind of wood is it? Some woods work better with steam and others with dry heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTProf

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 05:26:08 pm »
Thanks everyone! It is a piece of hickory. I have never worked with hickory before, except in board form.