Author Topic: slippery elm?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
slippery elm?
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:26:57 pm »
   I cut this log today and think it is slippery elm. Leaves were just starting to bud so no leaaf pics. Just wondered if anyone could tell for sure as i have never worked with it before. Split it debarked and sealed it so its going to get tried either way.
Steve Bennett

Offline TRACY

Re: slippery elm?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:35:39 pm »
Bark and heartwood match for red elm. You probably noticed after removal of the bark why it's called slippery elm. Makes a good wood for bows.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:01:10 pm »
Yuppers...how easy did the bark peal Steve? I've got chainsawitis n needing to cut some whitewood this weekend,but waiting for the sap to be up so the bark  slips off easy peasy

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:25:59 pm »
Thats a good looking piece of elm there turtle, looks like it split nice and straight too. Never had the chance to work with slippery elm but its elm so Im sure its probably good stuff.

Blackhawk, Ive had a bad case of chainsawitis for a couple of weeks now but havent had a chance to fire it up yet. I was working at a house yesterday that had some little hickories growing in the woods next to it and I couldnt stand it, I ended up taking my keyhole saw to one of em and the bark peeled off in 2 big pieces. It was a great feeling!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:18:38 am »
Didnt peel like okies hickory but i peelled off in long strips with a dull draw knife. Am going to try to cut a large perssimon next week if i make it somewhere to get shelac first. Used almost all i had today on the elm.
Steve Bennett

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:22:03 am »
I really dont think you realize what a piece of wood you have there. I value elm over osage hands down. And that sir, is a beautiful piece. Darn lucky... darn lucky...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:55:51 am »
Whats your reason sleek for valuing it so much? i know i have more than 200 bows worth of it on this property. I do agree though, beautiful stuff!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:10:46 pm »
The red or slippery elm here in Iowa does'nt have quite as thick of heartwood in it.Thicker sapwood too.Nice lookin piece of wood you got there though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 04:02:03 am »
Maybe its a personal bias, as elm was my first. But, I have never made a bow so short, with such a draw length and draw weight as my first elm bow. 47 inches ntn, 50@24, stiff handle, and made of a 1.5 inch sapling. I hunted an entire season with this bow. It did develop a crack in the back because I left the bark on. The cambium lifted and took some sapwood with it. I have a rawhide patch from a doe over it and it still can be shot, but I dont wanna risk it. With what I know now, I wish I could have this stave back and do it over. Anyways, elm has an interlocking grain that rivals hickory ( generally ) and as a result, can really take tension loads no other wood can. It likes a high crown and a flat belly. I would challenege anybody to make a bow like this from any other wood. I bet they wont, even with osage. Elm is KING.

By the way, keep your sap wood on that stave. Its a great back.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others