Author Topic: sinew wrap strategy  (Read 4394 times)

Offline snedeker

sinew wrap strategy
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:24:42 pm »
I want to use some deer back sinew to wrap and reinforce a bond while tillering at least.  I have stripped a bunch of it up and its oily to the touch.  I figure I will degrease it with some detergent and rinse it.  Would it work to wrap it on wet and glue with some Titebond Liquid Hide Glue?

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sinew wrap strategy
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 01:17:30 pm »
Dave That should work fine. I have never used TB hide glue but I have used TBIII to seal sinew. I wrap the sinew and let it dry, then add the glue over that to hold it down and seal from moisture.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Trapper

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 10:08:01 pm »
And another thing is too NEVER use the sinew DRY always soak it first. ALWAYS, the only thing I use sinew dry for is too make bowstrings. Just remamber too soak it and then you will have the limp sinew too work with. Much easier.   Trapper

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 02:27:54 am »
Hi, The times I've used sinew wraps I've just soaked and cleaned the sinew and then used as a wrap.  Glue is not necessary except to smooth out and protect the sinew after it is fully dry.  Tite bond II works well as protective coat.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers