Author Topic: ERC Bomb.  (Read 4813 times)

blackhawk

Re: Bending ERC
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 11:39:42 am »
There's NO way to lay that out even with a hardwood backing without having any of those knots running horizontal in the belly....knots running horizontal like that are death 100% of the time(especially in erc). It don't matter what you back that with it will explode without a doubt. I bet money it couldn't even make a 10# bow that could shoot over a 100 arras.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 11:43:47 am »
Yeah, I would have to agree with Chris and darksoul, but I always try to stop just short of saying it can't be done.  I've seen some folks pull off some crazy stuff on here that I would of never even dreamed of trying.  If you really have to make an erc bow shoot me a pm.  I got a few limbs that would give you a lot better chance at success.  If you cut your own, go for the limbs that grow up close to the trunk.  They will have less knots and I believe the limbs to be much more durable than the trunk wood.  I never have had much luck keeping a trunk wood stave together.  Just my .02 .  Josh

Offline autologus

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:08 am »
I was just a leftover scrap out splitting out some nice staves.  It is really more of a challenging experiment.  I appreciate your candor on the matter.  I may give it a go just for giggles and especially since a challenge has been made.  I have a nice long rope on my tillering tree so I should be out of the path of the shrapnel.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 11:57:07 am »
 ;D I thought you might.  Good luck!  Josh

blackhawk

Re: ERC Bomb.
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 11:59:57 am »
There's one common trait in each and every bowyer that we all share...and that's a hardhead  >:D....stubbornness runs strong thru our veins ;)  :laugh:

Offline osagejack

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 02:00:21 pm »
I am only afraid of two things,, one of them is full drawing a cedar bow,,,, the other is drawing a red oak board bow,,no offence to those who make them,, that's the two things I afraid of :laugh:

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 03:29:09 pm »
that would shure look purrty sandwiched in a trylam
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 04:00:23 pm »
Cedars beautiful wood but good luck making a bow from that i wouldn't waste time on it
I like osage

Offline autologus

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »
Cedars beautiful wood but good luck making a bow from that i wouldn't waste time on it

Its better than watching TV.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 04:20:17 pm »

Its better than watching TV.

Grady

Lol yea I guess you got me there
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 06:37:41 am »
If you can get some good bamboo, use it for the backing. It WILL mater which side of that board you glue it to. Your 4th pic shows the board with few knots on its face. Glue the boo ( or whatever backing you have ) to that side. What this does is it allows you to remove most of the wood with the knots on the opposite side as you tiller it down. I would go for nothing over 40 pounds. Make the bow 2 inches wide at the fades and a pyramid would be best design. I would put my money on this bow coming through for you if you get a good boo backing. Hickory would work to, but the back needs to be PERFECT. Crowned back, flat belly, and if you can deflex the bow a bit while you glue on the backing, maybe 2 to 3 inches, that would be best. You can also glue on siyahs for recurves and get a longer draw out of it without over stressing the wood to much. Go for a bendy handle.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 10:29:59 am »
I'd save that for a different project were I you. Its really pretty wood and it would be a shame to blow it up into splinters.