Author Topic: tennessee osage  (Read 3627 times)

Offline osagejack

tennessee osage
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:04 am »
here is a photo of some Tennessee osage  lets see some photos of your osage   just another reason we bleed orange and white here,, ;D

Offline twisted hickory

Re: tennessee osage
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:31:15 am »
Dang,
I wish I could get my hands on a osage log. It doesn't grow out here in Pa though. BL is the closest thing i have.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:40:05 am »
Now that's a nice one Mike. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osagejack

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:15:16 pm »
there are a few osage trees in pa,,i saw a guy at denton hill one year that had  found a few,, but good black locust is almost as good as osage,, whew I am having to take a break from removing sapwood from osage, that's why I on computer so much this week I take a lot of breaks,,the local high school has ask me to come talk to the kids,,and talk about working osage, to show them how hard you haft to work if you don't stay in school, ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:28 pm »
Dang,
I wish I could get my hands on a osage log. It doesn't grow out here in Pa though. BL is the closest thing i have.

Sorry that's my fault...cus I cut it all   >:D

Seriously tho there's plenty of osage in pa...its hit or miss in pockets with certain areas...ya just gotta go out n drive n look... ;)

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:36:57 pm »
Ugh! If I bled orange and white I would have to exanguinate myself.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:40:11 pm »
Does everybody take that sapwood off?  I was taking sapwood off of some seasoned osage yesterday, and the stuff seems to have some great tension strength.  Why not leave it on?  Just because of the bugs and the checking? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »
Ugh! If I bled orange and white I would have to exanguinate myself.

Grady

...now THAT was funny!  Sooooouuuueeeeyyyyy!!!

OneBow

Offline osagejack

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:57:14 pm »
I have never left any sapwood on I have had heard of a few who have did it,,pure sapwood is weak and brittle,,if you have ever noticed when working old osage the sapwood is brittle ,,I think the sapwood that has made good bows,,is the last layer of sapwood before the hart wood,,there is usually one layer that is half sapwood and half wood, if you have ever noticed when you work down to a ring and it Is orange in places and white in places but is the same ring; I usually take off an extra layer to make sure all sapwood is removed,

Offline Marks

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »
here is a photo of some Tennessee osage  lets see some photos of your osage   just another reason we bleed orange and white here,, ;D

Until that last sentence I really liked osage. Now I have to go burn my whole stash and cut some hackberry. Roll Tide!!!!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 03:52:24 pm »
Here's a pic for ya. It's from East Tennessee.

Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 04:03:50 pm »

Until that last sentence I really liked osage. Now I have to go burn my whole stash and cut some hackberry. Roll Tide!!!!
Actually, there are four states where Osage is a native tree, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.  All Osage anywhere else was captured, hauled away from it's native home, and obliged to try to survive in the foriegn soils of the ones that stole them away.  (I think I feel a tear welling up in the corner of my eye.) :'( :'( :'(

Also, please note that only one of those four states actually uses the actual color of Osage,(which ain't orange OJ), in it's team colors,  ...... . . . . . .MIZZZZZOOOOUUUURAH!!!

OneBow

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 04:29:16 pm »
Here's a pic for ya. It's from East Tennessee.

Nice rings and nice color on that one
I like osage

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Tennessee osage
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:16:24 pm »
I have it all from very wide rings to rings so close they look as one.

The best performing bow I have made to date was made from a set of these billets, I think.

I came down to the wider rings for the bows back. I have dropped the finished bow poundage from 75# to 65# to 56# to 48# over the last 5 years for the owner. Still a low set, rocket launcher of a bow.

I will change the picture if I find out this wasn't the wood as I have two of the same billets left to make me a bow out of.

Offline Paul F

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:17:33 pm »
Good Lord look at those ring's.  Think I may even have to work a bit to cut through them.  Looks like a great starter piece for me...hint hint, wink wink.  I'm just sayin.

Paul F.
The first part of doing anything, is getting up off your ass.