Author Topic: Osage seedlings?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline crwjr

Osage seedlings?
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:42:10 pm »
I'm going to be planting 100 each white pine, and Norway spruce on some of my property. It got me thinking is there a tree nursery that has Osage seedlings? Does anyone have any idea on finding Osage to replant for future use?!?! Thanks 
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:21:06 pm »
You might ask your Cooperative Extension Service of Forestry Commission
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:24 am »
i would make sure that where you plant them is way out of the way of anything.  correct me if i am wrong anyone, but those things will sprout up anywhere if left unchecked.  before the advent of barb wire the common phrase was--"horse high, bull tough, and pig tight"--when making a hedgeapple fence row.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:37 am »
They're extremely slow growing and very thorny.  I planted 50 (got them from the state extension agency) when we moved into our acreage in Nebraska in 1995.  When we moved out to head for Texas in 2007 about 10 had survived and the tallest was about 8' with around a 2" trunk at the base.  Most were smaller than that.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:15:16 pm »
I just ordered some form this place:
they came ranging from 6" to 12". Within the first week of planting they had leafs on them. Out of 25 only 2 show no signs of growth. All have grown at least 2". If not maintained they will grow out of hand but with a little prep I've read that they can grow anywhere from 18" to 22" in a year.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:51:18 pm by Pat B »
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 04:45:29 pm »
Plant them where they'll have to fight for their share of sunlight. It encourages them to grow up instead of out. That's why you find straight ones growing among other trees in creek bottoms and such. Keep an eye on them and prune them well for the next several years so you have a nice straight trunk. Someone will enjoy making bows from them long after you are too old to remember why you planted them. :o :) You see them in random places in pastures because cows eat hedgeapples and poop the seeds out in a perfect "potting soil".