Author Topic: Handle Type on a Drawknife?  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Paul F

Handle Type on a Drawknife?
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:15:38 am »
I have been reading up and looking about for a good Drawknife.  I have seen a few and am leaning twards the one from 3 River's.  I have seen both with the "knobs" and the long handles.  Is there a prefered version, or is it just a personal preference?  Thank you very much for your answeres in advance.

Paul F.
The first part of doing anything, is getting up off your ass.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Handle Type on a Drawknife?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:59:28 am »
It's personal preference
I like osage

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:00:00 am »
Both of mine have the longer handles.  I've never tried one with knobs but I don't think I would like them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osagejack

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:10:55 am »
I like to keep three different kinds on hand to switch up  when working all day on staves makes it easier on my hands,,the main thing is what feels good to you

Offline bhenders

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:46:46 am »
Handles,  eh, what feels good....

STEEL, now that's IMPORTANT.  Check to see where it was made.  If made in China... not so good.

Go to estate sales, barn sales, ebay, look for a good edge, secure handles and personally, I prefer a slightly curved blade.  Straight blades seem to 'catch' when I use them.  Also, look for a blade that has a good bevel because it will be much easier to sharpen on your stone.

The best one I have is one that I 'borrowed' from my dad about 25 years ago (and he got it at a garage sale - perfect curve and great steel ).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:52:53 am by bhenders »

Offline osagejack

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:46:31 am »
I have picked up a hundred at flea markets over the years,,i  think the best one I ever got was a green lee,,very nice steel

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:08:43 am »
Both mine have long handles... one is Boker steel from Germany, and the other is from Austria. Both excellent.

Offline Paul F

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »
Cool will keep that in mind.  Thank you all very much for the reply's.  Think I will keep looking around for one with the long handles as I think that would fit my large meat hook's the best.

Paul F.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 05:28:42 pm »
I have spent many an hour with a drawknife and I absolutely prefer the long handles. Where they are most handy is when you are doing rough work, you can pry at wood to help split it off. You don't want to do that for fine work, but in the hacking stage, it works good. I also have more control with the longer handles and angle control is everything with a drawknife.

I have one, forget the brand that is a folder. The handles are on locking joints held by a sort of wing screw. It helps to protect the blade when folded. On good vintage drawknives, you should be able to see where the steel blade is laminated on to the iron frame. If you see one, you can tell because the steel will usually be a darker color than the iron. Don't waste your time buying one that has all of its steel used up (same for axes and hatchets). I use a single bevel hatchet (broad hatchet) in the early stages, draw knife in the middle and a spoke shave to finish up. Sometimes I use a 1" hand plane too for fine work. I do little sanding and only at the very end.

Good luck - old tools are great! (usually)

Offline Paul F

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »
Will keep and eye out and thank you very much for the info.

Paul F.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 07:27:25 pm »
I recently bought a drawknife on ebay for 9$. I sharpened the blade and she was as good as new! You might check there before spending big bucks on a new one!
I personaly prefer the long handles, but that is a matter of preference.
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Paul F

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 07:28:58 pm »
So the more I look into these the more confused I have become.  Does the length of the blade make a huge deal?  I am seeing them from 5" to 9".  Go for the mid with a 6-7".  I am truly sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to get something that I am going to end up regretting.  Thank you very much again for all of your reply's

Paul F.

Offline Paul F

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 07:48:40 pm »
That looks like a nice draw knife. The blade on minebis 8 and 1/2 inchs long I think 6 inchs will work but i myself would prefer a little longer
I like osage

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »
Looks good, my first draw knife I bought at an antique store for 45. Its a 9" and i use it for aggresive cutting, for fine cutting I use a flexcut, you can get them from any online woodworking tool place.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250