Author Topic: Finish for linen backed bow  (Read 4412 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Finish for linen backed bow
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »
OK, I've linen backed a red oak board bow.  What kind of finish do I need put on it.  I'm not liking the rough texture.  I pained it once with thinned TBIII.  I can't tell that it helped really. 

I might do some painting on it.  What kind of paint should I use?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Finish for linen backed bow
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:29:25 pm »
OK, I've linen backed a red oak board bow.  What kind of finish do I need put on it.  I'm not liking the rough texture.  I pained it once with thinned TBIII.  I can't tell that it helped really. 

I might do some painting on it.  What kind of paint should I use?
Well, I also have a linen backed RO bow. I just used pine-varnish on it. Mix pine pitch and mineral spirits, let sit for 48 hours, then strain. If the resulting stuff looks like light amber-yellowish, good to go.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:35:01 pm »
Any type of water-based latex will adhere to a linen/titebond surface. Most of my bows are backed with linen and then usually finished with a couple thin coats of polyurethane, satin or semi-gloss.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:21:24 pm »
Thanks guys
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:42:57 pm »
Acrylic craft paint from Walmart will work over TB glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:53 pm »
Dave, I'm assuming you backed it with linen cloth and the texture of the cloth is what you don't care for?  If so, I use a spray poly and put on 4 or 5 even coats, then I let it fully cure and lightly sand it with 220. Use a tack clothe and remove all the sanding dust and repeat except I use 400 grit to sand this time. Tack cloth it and a couple more coats.  That fills in the low spots and when you sand it it takes off the high spots. Just be careful that you don't get to aggressive with the sanding and booger up your cloth backing.  This is based on a system Will explained to me last year at the classic to get his beautiful finishes.  My memories terrible so I've had to improvise where memory failed me and this what I come up with.  You can use tru oil the same way the only difference is that use OOOO steel wool instead of sand paper.  I've used this method a half a dozen times in the last year and I really like it.  I hope that helps.  BTW I just checked your bow out on the other thread, nicely done sir!  Josh

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:02:07 am »
Josh, thanks.  I like the looks of the texture, I just don't like the feel of it, so you're correct that I want to fill the voids.

Pat, I do thinks a paint job would be great.  I'm just not that talented of a painter.  But, I may give it my best try.  :)

Josh, thanks for you kind words about the tiller.  This bow is A LOT of first for me. For a pyramid bow it really shouldn't have those long of levers.  But, I couldn't get it to bend more there.  Maybe the slight flip tips are coming into play with the angles. (a light bulb just went off.  Isn't learning fun) The early draw weight seems good.   The string really twangs a brace.  While I've at time hated this red oak board build, I'm learning to accept the characteristics of red oak.  BUT, give me an osage stave any day.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:18:36 am »
Geometric designs like the Pacific Northwest Indiand would be pretty simple to do and the more rustic your work is the more realistic it will look. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:45:17 pm »
Geometric designs like the Pacific Northwest Indiand would be pretty simple to do and the more rustic your work is the more realistic it will look. ;)

That's kind of what I was thinking.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 10:07:30 pm »
I've printed out Celtic knot work on the computer and cut it out, laid it on the bow back, then gone over it with a stencil brush and craft acrylic. Pull the paper off and fill in the untainted area with another color and then trace the area where they meet in a third (darker) color. Comes out looking like you knew what you'd were doing.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 12:07:03 pm »
I've printed out Celtic knot work on the computer and cut it out, laid it on the bow back, then gone over it with a stencil brush and craft acrylic. Pull the paper off and fill in the untainted area with another color and then trace the area where they meet in a third (darker) color. Comes out looking like you knew what you'd were doing.

This sounds REALLY kuul!  It might even be possible for a non-artist type guy like myself.  Got any PIX of this?  If so, PLEASE share!

OneBow

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »
This is the only picture I've got of a bow that I've done this with on hand, unfortunately I took it with a cell phone and its not the best.