Author Topic: First bow from stave  (Read 2689 times)

Offline swimbill

First bow from stave
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:20:11 pm »
Started working this stave over the weekend.  Chasing a ring sounds easier than it really is.  The stave has a dogleg and a littler propeller twist, should be fun.

Started to chase the ring
I will post more as this bow progresses
Swimbill

Offline Joec123able

Re: First bow from stave
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »
Looks like it has tight rings. If chasing a ring goes smoothly its kinda fun to me.
I like osage

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:53:46 pm »
If you reduce the stave first to near final width layout, you'll have less width to ring chase. No need for ring chasing the entire four inch wide back near the ends, if you eventually need only ½" wide tips there.

Looks like a nice osage (?) stave though.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline swimbill

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:33:31 pm »
Yes it is osage and I will cut it down to a roughed out shape.  thanks for the tip.
Swimbill

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:04:22 pm »
Looking good so far Bill!  I wouldn't cut it to shape just yet.  Just because the top ring's grain is running true doesn't mean all the rings are.  The next few rings down could be running out, snaky or who knows what.  I always chase the ring I want and then cut the profile to match the grain of that particular ring.  You wouldn't be happy if you cut it out first only to find the ring you want has grain run out.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that has made that mistake.  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:09:26 pm »
Whew them are some mega tight rings.....take your time and use a scraper and sandpaper. It wont take much to crack into the next ring down. Ive done as Josh mentioned. Figure if I rough the profile out I will have less surface area. The problem lies in how many rings it finally takes to get a good back. What happens if you have to go down 4,5 or 6 rings and suddenly the bow is thin? Been there myself. Get a good back first and foremost.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:10:44 pm »
Agree with Gun Doc.  I don't reduce the width yet.  More than one way to skin a cat, so not saying Dark Soul is wrong by any means.  Just saying that "many's the slip twixt the cup and the lip".  Lot's of ground to cover, so keep it wide and then decide the lay out once it's pristine on the back.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline swimbill

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:40 am »
Thanks for the advice, should I reseal the back after scraping it down?  I do not want it to check.
Swimbill

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 10:39:20 am »
Chasing a ring isn't my favorite part but that looks like a very nice stave :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:51:56 am »
Yep.  Reseal it or it could check on you, "dry" or not.

Love chasing rings on Osage, but that's just me.  Those tight rings are a challenge for sure, just take your time, especially around any knots, or divots.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:15:02 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:14:10 pm »
Chasing rings is fun!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 04:59:21 pm »
If you reduce the stave first to NEARfinal width layout, you'll have less width to ring chase. No need for ring chasing the entire four inch wide back near the ends, if you eventually need only ½" wide tips there.
I should have emphasized the 'near' part. I leave the stave full thickness at that point, and leave it at least ¼" wider on either side. This will greatly help in speedy and efficient ring chasing, without the risk of running out of wood in the end.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286