Author Topic: Coastal Fletcher  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Caveman_Sam

Coastal Fletcher
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:38:42 pm »
Im going to be on the north coast of Cornwall (uk) this summer.  Does any one have experience with Fletching Seagull feathers?  They seem to be decent from memory, but I have yet to make an arrow and so have no real way of telling.  Also they seem kind of filthy, not too keen on the idea of pulling a seagull feather to the corner of my mouth first time! Do you ever clean feathers before fletching?

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Coastal Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:14:35 pm »
If they were seagull feathers I would. 

Yes, I clean all feathers collected.  Also freeze them to kill creepy crawlies. 

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:29:15 pm »
Soft,but  just about any feather will work. Some are just better or last longer.Use what you have at hand . It's worked for   mankind for as long as we existed!
 ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:21:12 am »
Here in the US we can't use sea bird feathers. We are actually limited what feathers we can use.
When I was at the coast of Oregon a few years ago there were gazillions of sea bird feathers on the beach but they are not legal to use here.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Caveman_Sam

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:29:06 am »
I think seagulls are protected here too..? God knows why!? I really don't think ill have any problem with collecting feathers that have fallen of their own accord though. 

What kind of feathers are best?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:56:02 pm »
Playing devils advocate here.  Can you prove they are molted feathers?  Nope.  I'd be willing to bet that if you checked the law,  it will state that you can't possess or use feathers from protected birds.  I think its wasteful, but since there is no way to prove a feather is molted the law has to be written that way.  Basically what I'm trying to say is don't get yourself in trouble over a stinking seagulls shed feathers.  Josh

Offline Caveman_Sam

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:52:28 pm »
no not at all, thats great advice. Only people who are insecure and yet still resolute in their folly cannot deal with having their position challenged.  I suppose I could always photograph the feathers where I found them. 

What feathers are generally regarded as a fine choice for fletching? And which ones are not so widely spoken of but are still good quality? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 03:09:29 pm »
I'd think any of the major flight feathers would make good fletching. You can make good fletching out of feathers that are 4" long or longer. Two styles of Native American fletching can utilize these smaller feathers.

Our law protecting feathers was enacted in 1908 to save the birds of America from plume hunters supplying to those making ladies fashion.  ::)  And, to us these moulted and found feathers are wasted but like everything in nature nothing is wasted.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:38:30 am »
Sam, I get turkey feathers from a local turkey farm each year, just before Christmas.   8)  You can use primary and secondaries, and if you're into the two fletch etc you can use tail feathers too.  If you talk to the farm proprietors in good time, sometimes they will keep a few wings back from the mechanical wet plucking which otherwise goes on and ruins the feathers.  You give them some beer money, they give you binliners of feathers.  That is where mine come from......
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:26 am »
Yah... seagulls are Federally protected here in Canada as well, cuz they eat garbage. They're commonly referred to as shit hawks. Same as raptors... you can't use their feathers.