Author Topic: Hammer stones?  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Hammer stones?
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:33:28 pm »
Hey yall I am trying to find and make my own set of flint knapping tools and i have a lot of stones around my house that we use for the roof gutter water so it doesnt make a hole in the ground. Theres alot more than these, these are just some of the better rocks I could pick out. So guys tell me are these rocks any good? is the composition of them right ive watched some videos but im no expert on picking out rocks. Thanks

tell me if you need better pics, this is one

and heres the other side
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Hammer stones?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 03:50:57 pm »
Look good to me, but I'm no expert either.  I use all kinds of different rock for percussion.  My knapping pit has enough abraders and hammer stones for probably 10 people to use.  ;D Give em a try, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »
The second from the left looks good to me.  But close-ups would be better.  Also, pound them against some concrete and take a picture of the impact areas.  If they don't fracture and crush instead, then they should be fine for hammerstones.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:43:50 pm »
Those all appear to be quartzite, which isn't bad for a hard hammerstone. Ideally you want a soft hammerstone for flaking purposes and those tend to be a softer material than quartzite. The hard hammerstones are good for initial reduction but tend to produce thicker bulbs of percussion. Soft hammerstones produce less thick bulbs of percssion and are better for final flaking. The ones we find here in Arkansas that are soft may typically be cobbles of a hard sandstone. Try one and see how it goes. If your hammerstone isn't wearing some and producing flat surfaces after moderate use, you may seek some softer stones. Like I said, try some of these and see. You can get good results with most stuff as long as it is softer than the stone you are whacking, so don't worry much and see what you can do.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:51:41 pm »
I agree with Dalton on that. You don't want a polished stone . And some flatter / thin round ones work good for final past work. You'll get it down after working them.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:22:48 pm »
I agree with Dalton on that. You don't want a polished stone . And some flatter / thin round ones work good for final past work. You'll get it down after working them.
Small flat pieces of slate?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:02:29 am »
No fine grain sandstone like this. 

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:47:40 am »
I agree with Dalton Knapper the softer stones will produce a better flake, just like copper does better than steel. I have the same issue here in Florida its really hard to find any good hammer stones. Maybe work a trade with some one on here that is in an area where they are abundant. If I find any I will pick you up one !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.