Author Topic: ERC Bomb.  (Read 4820 times)

Offline autologus

ERC Bomb.
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:32:24 pm »
Has anyone bent ERC and if so what method did you use.  I have a deflexed/decrowned ERC stave that I am going to back with Rawhide but wanted to flip the tips to make a R/D bow.  I have not worked ERC before and have discovered that it tears out easily.  I have a couple spots on the back where there are some knots that have torn out a bit and was thinking of "bondoing" them with CA glue and ERC dust, then backing with Rawhide using TBIII glue.  I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow and post it and see what you guys think would be the best course of action.  It is 47.5" end to end and about 3/4" thick, it has about 2" of deflex in it.

One last thing, what design and stats do you all think I should use and could get?

Grady
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:56:20 am by autologus »
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline osagejack

Re: Bending ERC
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:50:56 pm »
just be careful with cedar that short,,how long of a draw are you looking to get?  my experience with cedar is that it don't bend well,,maybe someone here has worked cedar that short,,

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:03:59 pm »
Has anyone bent ERC and if so what method did you use.  I have a deflexed/decrowned ERC stave that I am going to back with Rawhide but wanted to flip the tips to make a R/D bow.  I have not worked ERC before and have discovered that it tears out easily.  I have a couple spots on the back where there are some knots that have torn out a bit and was thinking of "bondoing" them with CA glue and ERC dust, then backing with Rawhide using TBIII glue.  I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow and post it and see what you guys think would be the best course of action.  It is 47.5" end to end and about 3/4" thick, it has about 2" of deflex in it.

One last thing, what design and stats do you all think I should use and could get?

Grady
Holy Cow, how much draw length you want from it? I assume its mostly heartwood, the sapwood is OK but it takes more set...
I work with ERC but I do not generally like to bend it. I also have only made one successful bow from the wood, from 2 attempts.
But the 1st attempt was a 40 inch branch I attempted to shoot with 28" arrows. Total failure.
the second attempt was a cable-backed flatbow, it took a lot of set, but it was mostly sapwood. It also had one heck of a knot at the back.
it drew 32#@25" and I kinda just floor tillered it.
used nuthin but a hatchet.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:04:35 pm »
Being that short I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 23 -24".  if I can't get the tips flipped no problem I will just be a deflexed bow.

Grady

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:12:41 pm »
Being that short I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 23 -24".  if I can't get the tips flipped no problem I will just be a deflexed bow.

Grady
You should be OK with that draw.
Not sure what you mean with r/d bow.
Definitly back it with rawhide. Expecially if it has knots. ERC is supposedly weak in tension, but its pretty good in compression. So smooth the surface you want to bend, boil it with hickory strips on either side and bend with the strips in place to keep down splinters.
bend gently and slowly. Its springy wood.

Eehh.. so you say its de-flexed, and you want to get the tips slightly reflexed to counter this? so unstrung it looks sort of like-
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:49 pm »
I did an r/d with erc once. It wasn't nearly that short though. I just used dry heat on a Form, it didn't like to stay bent though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:58:03 pm by Jmilbrandt »
SW Utah

Offline autologus

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 05:16:31 pm »
That is the general shape I was looking for.  Just wasn't sure how to do the bends, I have steamed and used dry heat on other woods but never used ERC.  I will try the boiling, I will get it to floor tiller and try to bend the tips and hope for the best.

Grady

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 05:46:32 pm »
Use steam to flip your tips with ERC. N go just a hair past of what you want...cus some of it will spring back a hair. Good luck...that's really short for that wood. I just got done chasing a ring on the stuff BTW.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »
Eeehh... R/d means reflex-deflex. You guys have no idea how dumb I now feel.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 05:56:26 pm »
Your asking alot out of that short of a stave.  I won't say it can't be done, but sinew would be the way to do it.  Erc is tricky to bend. Especially if there are any knots where you intend to bend it.  I generally use a heat gun and a lot of Crisco slathered on to prevent scorching.  Don't try to bend it all at once, gradual steps are much better with erc.  I would also suggest that you consider just leaving it deflexed.  With the super low mass it will still shoot very hard if you pull it off.  You will probably only take another inch of set if it holds.  Most of the time erc doesn't take much set, it just blows up when its had enough.  If you must bend it, consider bending in a gradual arc as opposed to a sharp bend at the tips.  As has been mentioned, it doesn't hold bends well. Expect to lose half of your introduced bend.  I hope that helps. Josh

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 06:05:34 pm »
If you're after some flipped tips, you could consider kerf bending the ERC. If you don't know what that involves, run a search or let us know. I think it would be a good technique to use for such a short bow, where only the outer few inches need to be recurved.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline autologus

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:49:13 am »
Here is the stave I was referring too.  I would like any suggestions you all can give on the design and dimensions you think would best suit this stave.  If it grenades on me that's OK but I would like for it to survive and make a workable bow.

Grady

Ends

Belly

Back

Side

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:07:35 am »
Uh...thats not what I had envisioned when you said stave.  I think you're gonna have to hard back that with a good strong wood like hickory, oak, ash or something like that.  Erc heartwood is brittle volatile stuff under tension in my experience.  I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on this one.  I just have no experience hardbacking bows. Sorry, wish I could be more help.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 11:28:11 am »
That's KNOT the greatest piece of erc to make a bow with....with those knots and its shortness in lenght I'd scrap that idea IMHO. Not even worth trying a hardwood backing either IMHO. And remember I make a lot of bows out of "firewood",and even that's just not worth it in my eyes. I don't even see where you could rip it in half and splice em together for a full length piece and then gluing a hardwood backing over that. Sorry...but that's my two cents  :-\

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
That's a lot of knots in that board...it's indeed not quite what I had imagined, but luckily you provided good pictures. I think there's too many knots to get away with only a rawhide backing. Since it is relatively flat and even, I would also suggest a hard wooden backing. It will still be a tricky endeavor, but with more chance of success than with only some rawhide. I wouldn't be surprised if it broke, though. It's very short and very knot riddled...

It's a beautiful piece of wood, though. I can almost smell it through the monitor... Perhaps I would use it for decorations, such as a bow rack. Might be too pretty to fucntion as a bow that might as well break.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286