Author Topic: Chainsaw advise  (Read 3218 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Chainsaw advise
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 06:06:33 pm »
osage outlaw....I've just seen you mention on several different threads this little Homelite saw.  It conjures up this funny image in my mind.  Sorry!  As far as doing things on the cheap, right there with you, me probably even more so than you.  My work bench is the first Sears Workmate I ever bought....1990 or so, my sandpaper, safety glasses and gloves are an Xmas gift every year from a friend who works for 3M,  tillering string is a Dacron string I made 12-14 years ago for tillering (it just broke last week), still wieght my bows on bathroom scales (seems to work fine), and on and on. :)  BTW, got a scar on my left shin that probably looks a lot like the mark on your boot.  Looked worse than it was.  I screamed like a girl!
No offense to all the chainsaw wielding non screaming girls obviously.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 08:30:54 am »
I have a husky limbing saw with a 14 inch bar. I love it So far it has cut 15 cords of fire wood with minimal problems. I have felled a couple of trees that were in the 25 inch range and it did fine. I am 40 and have been cutting fire wood since age 13. Out of the 5 or 6 saws the two best have been husky and Jonsered. Don't skimp or when you need a saw it won't work.
Greg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 08:38:17 am »
I have a stihl and like it,the trouble I have with them in my area is no one to work on it,I have 3 Eco's 16-18-20 and love them,easy to start and easy to get parts to repair,that is very important for me,I would also suggest what ever you decide on it to by it from a repeatable shop,you may pay a little more but when[and you will] you have trouble you have someone to help you out. Chain stores ant a good place to by saws.IMO. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marks

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 11:12:26 am »
I bought a refurbished craftsman 18" at a discount store for $80 a year and a half ago and it has served me well so far. 3 pumps on the bulb and pull the choke and it cranks within 3 pulls. Usually the first. Reviews on mine says it uses oil quicker than most and I believe them but it has been reliable. I don't cut a whole lot of wood but I have a wood burning stove in the garage and a fire pit in the back yard, and some osage in the rafters of my garage. I haven't looked at other new chainsaws but 1 feature I like about this one is you can adjust tension or replace by hand. No tools necessary. They may all do that these days though.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 11:36:34 am »
My old saw with the 20" bar was a Poulan 3400 (back before they were bought out by weed eater). Lots of power! I cut a LOT of wood with that saw. My brother borrowed it and left gas in it all winter and ruined the diaphram in the carb. Try getting a carb kit for a 1985 Poulan. My next saw will be a Stihl. Do the math and get one with 3.5 or better cu in.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »
Ihave a STHIL Farm Boss but I refitted it with a different sprocket to take a longer bar with a thinner blade (less friction) for resawing.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 02:59:54 pm »
Some of the older saws tend to have carb issues related to ethanol fuel.  So keep that in mind if you go used.  A sharp, good quality chain makes a huge difference. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 03:19:28 pm »
I put a wood stove in a couple of years ago, bought me a Stihl 295 I think it's called with the tax money I got back for the energy saving tax rebate.  Should have gotten a Farm Boss, but the 295 works great for me.  I also got a helmet  and chainsaw chaps.  I wear them every time I fire up the saw, no exceptions.  Sounds like Clint could use a pair of these too.  I have a buddy that uses a saw for a living and he pretty much made me promise hime that I'd wear the safety gear.  It's worth the extra $$.  Before that I used two 1960s Homelite, neither had a chain break, I feel a lot safer now that I have an up to date saw.  Keep the tip out of the dirt is the main thing.  A sharp chain makes a big difference.  If you are getting dust rather than shavings, you need to sharpen your chain.  I have bought another chain since too.  Like Pappy said, make sure you have a service center for what ever model you buy.  Stihl has several around my place.  Good luck, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Woodbender

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 11:54:54 pm »
I knew this would be the place to ask! Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

Steve