Author Topic: What's your FPS?  (Read 24310 times)

mikekeswick

Re: What's your FPS?
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2013, 04:11:27 am »
What happened to accuracy.  It's great to have a fast bow but if you are not accurate then you missed the game....!

Absolutely right!
However a faster bow has less vertical drop to take into account at varying ranges. This is a major bonus when it comes to accuracy. I sometimes enter field archery competions where accuracy is all that matters and a fast bow (that is stable obviously) is a huge advantage. I normally enter my selfbows against the fiberglass brigade for some competition...it's quite fun beating them  ;) ;) but it would certainly be harder if I had to shoot a slower bow. Ask anybody who target shoots at long range with rifles (i've done a bit myself) - do you want the faster bullets today or the slower ones....the answer will be fast ones please. Speed does matter!

Offline IndianGuy

Re: What's your FPS?
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 11:17:20 am »
Here is a few numbers for some of my bows, I am pleased with all of them.
60" bamboo backed osage orange "D" (has taken some set)  bow made in 2005 60#@ 27" 500 grain average cedar hunting arrow. 167 fps
63" osage orange static recurve bow made in 2012 39# @ 28" same arrow 148 fps
63.5" osage orange semi-flat "D" shaped bow made in 1991  54# @ 27" 156 fps

Nothing over the ordinary about these speeds but very satisfactory to me.
I agree by knowing how your bows shoot can help you make a better bow, but it is not overly important to me.