Author Topic: Hickory Backed Jatoba R/D  (Read 7596 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Hickory Backed Jatoba R/D
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:00:59 am »
Here's the latest one I finished up. Hickory backed jatoba 58 1/2" ntn pulls 50# @ 27" It's 1 1/4 at the fades and just under 1/4" at the nocks. The overlays are bison horn. Made this one for one of my brothers friends he said he wanted a short bow that pulled fifty pounds. Hopefully he likes this one.  :)
SW Utah

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Hickory Backed Jatoba R/D
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:02:14 am »
The full draw.
SW Utah

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:04:39 am »
And then a picture just because I thought it was funny. My latest tips compared to my first attempt at overlays.   :o Go ahead and laugh, I know I am.   ;)
SW Utah

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:23:30 am »
saweeeeet!! I like them curves
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:28:18 am »
i have to say, its pretty funny the difference between the two. Nice work on this one!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:34:27 am »
Beautiful bow !!!!!!!
I like osage

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:36:26 am »
Very nice bow.  Great job
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:26:03 am »
And then a picture just because I thought it was funny. My latest tips compared to my first attempt at overlays.   :o Go ahead and laugh, I know I am.   ;)
I won't laugh. If I am slogging thru the woods after a deer that I just shot and drop one of those tips on a rock which one will break?
I like the looks of the narrow tips but I like to hunt with my bows. My next bow will be a target bow....going to try for 1/4 in
Greg

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:13:38 am »
Nice job, Justin. Looks like a sweet shooter!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »
I won't laugh. If I am slogging thru the woods after a deer that I just shot and drop one of those tips on a rock which one will break?
I like the looks of the narrow tips but I like to hunt with my bows. My next bow will be a target bow....going to try for 1/4 in

Thanks guys! Hmmm, twisted that is a good point, I'll keep that in mind on my next hunting bow.  ;)
SW Utah

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 04:08:05 pm »
That's a sweet looking bow for sure. Very graceful lines and a good looking handle. I'm not sure I like that string wrapped handle, but those layers of wood are great.  Skinny tips for sure! :) Good for target shooting.

I have to comment on the tiller though. It's bending a tad too much in the fades, for my liking. I can see some deflex there, but I still think there should have been less bend near the fades and more in the midlimbs. Especially since this bow is quite short and thus stressed. Pay attention on any chrysals forming in those areas, the next few hundred shots.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 04:29:54 pm »
Thanks darksoul! I'm completely opposite I'm not really a fan of leather handles. They take more time and I don't really like the looks or the feel while shooting as much as hemp. I see what you mean by the tiller, although to me it looks like it might just be the angle of the picture. Either way it's going on the tree for inspection when I get home.  ;)
SW Utah

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 06:14:37 pm »
That handle is hemp? Ok! I thought it was some sort of plastic string, but hemp is much nicer. Myself, I prefer leather, but even bare wood can be gorgeous on such a handle. Since there's an arrow shelf, you don't need the string/leather wrap for locating the grip itself.
Tiller can indeed be deceiving, depending on the angle of the pic. That shadow and backdrop also don't help. Put it on the tiller tree and see the arch she's taking when you slowly pull her.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 06:18:47 pm »
I'll do that because it does look off in that picture. This is also my second r/d so I appreciate the input on the tiller. I was finding it a little tricky.
SW Utah

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 08:26:17 pm »
Very nice, excellent job on those tips.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell