Author Topic: Anyone use a folder for hunting?  (Read 862 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Anyone use a folder for hunting?
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:17:57 pm »
Hey Guys,

Does anyone on here use a folding knife for hunting? I've always used a 3.5" drop point fixed blade, but folders are much more convenient for me to carry. I know the buck 110 and 112 are classics, but was thinking something more along the lines of a Spyderco Delica for ease of cleaning. What do you all use?

Jon

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Anyone use a folder for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:43:55 pm »
Buck 500A.  Had it for years and I have lost track of how many critters it has skinned.  All my pants have pockets on them and I never got used to a  sheath knife.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:08:43 pm »
I've used them both .It's just harder to clean a folder.(nooks and cranies are good for harbouring bacteria)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:00 pm »
Personally, I use a Martini Bait Knife, but my best buddy uses a Spyderco of some kind.  Got a bout a 3" 1/2 serrated blade on it.  Heck, you could use a flake of chert, as long as it's sharp and your happy w/ it.  ;) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline DGF

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:42:05 am »
On many occasions I've used my trusty Gerber Gator. It's not pretty, but it has always done an exellent job for me cleaning deer. I agree fixed blades knife clean up easier, but the throw in your pocket factor of a folder is nice to have.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:22:09 am »
I use a lot of knives but my go to is the Buck 112,I have several and they are just the right size for me and very easy to sharpen. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good