Author Topic: cedar shafts  (Read 5880 times)

Offline anasazi

Re: cedar shafts
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 06:32:21 pm »
Does any one use bulbous nock's and if so what size are your nock's?  Do you shrink the shaft just in front of the nock or is your nock all together bigger than the shaft?
Is there any advantage to a three fletch or disadvantage to a two fletch?

Thank you every one for your help.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 10:04:56 pm »
I have about 60 more plastic nocks to use up then I will just cut them in with a hacksaw blade. I would just tape two or three hack saw blades together then reinforce with sinew or thread glues on with tb3.  Other may chime in on bulbed nocks but I donno
Greg

Offline anasazi

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 02:04:34 am »
Do you normally straighten them before or after you reduce them to size?

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 11:27:09 am »
Do you normally straighten them before or after you reduce them to size?

The process goes as follows: Cut them about 6-8inches longer then you need them. Leave the bark on and let dry for about 3 months. (you can quick dry them but seal the ends good after you take the bark off of them.) 2. Once dry use some dry heat to straighten the worst of the kinks out of them (bark off at this point), do this 2 or three times. 3. doewl them down to 3/8 of an inch at the big end and straighten again, concentrate on getting the shaft a little straighter than the initial straightening, do this a couple more times. 4. Do a final doweling down to close to the size you need. If you want a 5/16 shaft dowel them down to 11/32 then sand with 60 grit till they will almost fit into a 5/16 hole drilled in a piece of wood. 5. Straighten a final time then sand with finer sand paper till they will fit snugly in 5/16 hole the entire way, steel wool with 0000 steel wool and apply stain/finish.
You will find the shafts will warp if they get real dry or real wet so don't leave them out in the rain all day or laying in the lawn. Also when using dry heat don't burn the shaft just barley toast them and that is hot enough. You will notice after a couple of weeks of finish being applied they might need just very slight heat to touch up the straightness. Then cut nocks, fletch, attach points and go shoot them ;) I do find that finding the stiff side of the shaft and putting it so it faces away from the bow (cock feather side) helps the arrow shoot a little better. They don't have to be perfect to get flight that is good. A decent set of arrows will allow you to kill game out to 45 yards if you do you job as a shooter. I have shot some of these out of my target recurve and they are just as accurate as my target cedar arrows when set up correctly for the bow being shot out of. Hope this helps,
Greg

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 08:31:45 pm »
Self nocks don't need reinforcement unless you are using WEAK wood. I frequently shoot self-nocked POC, Rose, Cane and Honeysuckle arrows off of a 50 pound recurve. the only ones that are wrapped are Honeysuckle cause it has very hollow stems.
Never split a nock so far.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 09:32:36 pm »
Does any one use bulbous nock's and if so what size are your nock's?  Do you shrink the shaft just in front of the nock or is your nock all together bigger than the shaft?
Is there any advantage to a three fletch or disadvantage to a two fletch?

I use them.   ;D
Yep, I shrink (carve) the shaft just in front of the nock and taper the shaft.
Two or three fletches work just fine either way.  The neater the job, the better, of course.

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bow101

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 09:57:34 pm »
Lol...............nooooob thought, are cedar shafts really that good for arrows considering their weakness and light compared to say Douglas fir shafts
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 10:08:13 pm »
POC (Port Orford Cedar) is big business.  VERY big business.  Think Coke... or Pepsi for archers.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 04:22:27 pm »
I heat my finished dogwood shafts in the oven on 200 degrees for 25-30 min. I take them out using gloves, straighten by hand then groove the shafts while still hot with two grooves from just under where the where the fletching will be all the way to the point. I then bundle 3-4 together and let sit till completely cool, Most will stay straight after this grooving while hot.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 05:23:53 pm »
POC (Port Orford Cedar) is big business.  VERY big business.  Think Coke... or Pepsi for archers.
But does everyone drink Cola? I think not, Mellow-yellow is quite delicious. So is hot green tea, assuming its still hot.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 09:15:01 pm »
But does everyone drink Cola? I think not, Mellow-yellow is quite delicious. So is hot green tea, assuming its still hot.

If Pepsi =  POC, then Mellow Yellow = ?.

Methinks reed or some other thatching material.

Green Tea = Horseweed.   >:D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »

If Pepsi =  POC, then Mellow Yellow = ?.

Methinks reed or some other thatching material.

Green Tea = Horseweed.   >:D
:o
Green tea= river cane
Mellow Yellow= Ash

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 10:26:13 am »
  No big secert to keeping shoot arrow straight.
  I straighten perty straight, leave the bark on bundle. I use'lly bundle around survey stake for keep them as straight as posable. I lay flat for a year or 2,3 then make the arrows when I get around to it. All shoots ,the longer they season the straighter they stay. there's just different drying lenths for different woods if your in a hurry.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING