Author Topic: Self Nock Repair?  (Read 4762 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Self Nock Repair?
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:06:36 pm »
I got my first Robin Hood the other day :) - but that means I busted one of my arrows. :(  .  So I figured, rather than going through the whole she-bang once again and making another shoot shaft, to try and repair it.   Kind of like adding a footing, but on the back of the shaft.  I planed down the break to a straight angle, then glued on a little piece with TBIII.    The biggest pain was filing the nock again, because I only had a tiny sliver of space.  I'm just going to re-stain, wrap the end with linen (like I do to my self-nocks anyway) and I should be good to go. Is there a better way of doing this/ Is this a bad idea?  I think I might switch to plastic nocks for target shafts.  Easier to replace. 

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Self Nock Repair?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:15:25 pm »
Nice repair job!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:24:20 pm »
Nicely done!  That's the only way I know to fix em.  Josh

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:37:56 pm »
That is impressive!
I might be doing that to an ultra-light(e.g in the 7-8 gram neighborhood) arrow I made from some wierdo species of tree. Its hollow, and on the nock end its fairly thick. I intentionally cut the nock into that end.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:54:22 am »
Thats the way i do it also. Exept i make it so that the new nock is only cut into the new part.
Steve Bennett

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:43:10 am »
Never even thought of repairing a self nock that has been "Robin Hooded".  Thanks for the great idea.  Use plastic nocks if you want but I always figured that busting a few self nocked arrows every once in a while is part of the whole primitive archery experience.  I just make sure that I have alot of arrows so I don't have to replace every arrow I Robin Hood immediatly.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:37 pm »
great idea and very well executed.   I will file that one away for future use.

Russ 

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 10:07:02 pm »
Ya get an A+ on that one. She will be killin paper tomorrow. :)
Greg

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:41:52 pm »
nice job, great idea.
it just happened to me a couple days ago! ..fortunately my bronze blade simply sliced ONE of the nock sides and the sinew wrap.
all i had to do was to glue the sliced nock back together and re-sinew
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:37 am »
Nice repair job bubbles.Plastic nocks bust too in fact I think more often.I just don't like the looks of plastic nocks on my arrows anyway.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:56:35 pm »
@turtle - that a good idea - replace the whole nock area.  so you just cut the whole nock area off at an angle and and splice in a new piece and re-cut the nock.  I'll do that next time.  A mitre saw would probably help.

I just figured when a plastic nock broke it would be easier to just glue on another one, since the arrow would probably be okay - and easy "break and replace" piece.  Just for my specific target arrows that I'm trying to shoot for groupings.  I would still use self nocks on my hunting arrows.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 11:48:01 pm »
Nice work on the repair. I have made that kind of repair when the back end of an arrow was split when its plastic nock was hit.

There  are folks on a certain forum, that shall remain nameless, who would get their knickers in a knot and talk about dry-fires and other heart-stopping disasters invited by repairing wood arrows. I'm glad those folks don't post here.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07:54 am »
   Thats why I only shoot one arrow at a time.
  Perty nice patching job looks good you'll just have to try it and see.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING