Author Topic: Bark on yew bows  (Read 4513 times)

Offline deerhunter97370

Bark on yew bows
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:26:29 pm »
Hey everyone, I just recently got some fresh cut Pacific Yew from a friend. When looking at it today while splitting it I thought what if I leave the bark on for coloring of the bow. What do you all think or am just crazy.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline juniper junkie

Re: Bark on yew bows
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:20:46 am »
as the bark dries it seperates from the wood. in fact you can remove most of the bark from yew by flexing the stave and it will pop loose. the bark becomes brittle when dry.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 10:56:01 am »
Thanks for the reply Juniper.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:07:37 pm »
I'm working on a yew bow that I plan to back with hickory.  I gathered up this yew two years ago from a wild patch about 8 miles north of where I live here in Western Montana.  I have to use my bicycle to get this wood out because motorized equipment is not allowed. This is fun, of course.
Anyway, I  always leave the bark on to protect the wood from checking. So now I have a huge project trying to get the bark off. I wait until the bow is roughed out so I don't do unneccessary work. 
In Montana, yew bark does no pop off after two years.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:56:39 pm »
OldBow, That sounds like what ive got but from oregon. Iwas debarking a stave today hoping I could reduse it easier without bark. The bark didnt want to come off even with a new drawknife. The outer bark came off but the layer between the bark and sapwood didnt want my drawknife to scrape uner it.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 08:48:15 pm »
Well, after my sanctimonious reply about yew bark, I have discovered that, indeed, most of the bark has begun to pop off. Its been a couple of years since I have worked with yew.
Silly, no, stupid, me.

ps. BOM takes a lot of my time.  Its good to be able to work on a bow for myself.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:56:13 pm »
in order for the bark to pop loose, you need to reduce the stave until it bends, then the bark should pop loose. if it isnt dry then the bark will hang up. if you are going to leave the sapwood intact for the back then leave the rest of the bark on and continue to floor tiller the stave, the more it bends the more bark comes loose. some will remain and can be scraped, but most should pop loose.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 12:03:12 am »
Thanks guys for the replys. The info from this sight is amazing. I think Im becoming adicted to bow making. Joel