Author Topic: Tip Alignment  (Read 1169 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Tip Alignment
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:18:16 pm »
So, do y'all tend to correct tip alignment if the sting is tracking center across the handle? Or do you just let it be at that point?  I've done both, and can't say I've noticed a difference in set or longevity. But I do wonder about increased limb stress. 

Just to clarify, I'm talking about a situation where one limb has some lateral bend to the right, the other has some lateral bend to the left, and the string tracks dead center in the handle.  Not talking about propeller twist.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tip Alignment
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »
If the string tracks across the handle at brace you are good to go but you must brace it first to determine this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:34:30 pm »
yup, if the string tracks center at the handle, it doesnt matter how wacky the limbs are, you're good to go.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:00:04 pm »
If the string tracks on the handle I don't worry about it.  There have been several times that I've had one crooked character ridden limb and one straight and clean limb and I have bent the straight limb to get alignment right.  I only do that if the character limb is at risk of breaking while making the heat adjustment of course.  Josh

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:17:12 pm »
I dont worry about it as long as the string is tracking close to center. I would think too much lateral bend couldnt be too healthy for the limbs though. I dont have any way to prove that though as Ive built some bows with quite a bit of sideways wonkiness and have never had a problem with them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:30:23 pm »
Post pics of your braced bow so we can see the limbs and how the string tracks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:24:23 pm »
I leave knocks wide and handle unshaped until at least the first brace. Lets me track the string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »
Thanks guys,

I agree that string tracking is key.  I think that when the tips are way off though, it might promote twist in the bow over time even if the string tracks center.

This case isn't too severe.  I'll post pics when I have time, hopefully this evening.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.