Author Topic: Stringing a bow  (Read 3111 times)

Offline dmenzies1950

Re: Stringing a bow
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 03:39:12 pm »
Thanks Guys! It looks like we primitive guys do what feels good to us! I guess that's why we are in to this kind of archery. You guys are the best and that's the truth!    Dale         
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 04:24:12 pm »
Strictly step through. I dont even know how to do a push pull. I just place the lower limb tip on the front of my right ankle, handle centered behind left leg knee, and hand on the upper tip pushing the limb to the string. If its a recurve, even better, the limbs curve wraps around my ankle even more secure. I am not sure what the issue with it is? the only thing that could go wrong is not having the handle centered under your left knee.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 05:59:37 pm »
I use push/pull most of the time.  I use step thru on heavily recurved bows.  I think either technique can mess a bow up if you don't watch what you are doing.  Getting good balanced bending and pressure right in the middle of the handle is all important, regardless of your method.  I have watched people string bows with real bad technique and I always cringe.   It breaks your heart to see somebody bending the hell out of one limb and leaving the other one straight while they ugly a string onto a bow... 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 08:20:17 pm »
I always use the step through method.  If done properly it doesn't hurt the bow.  The push pull method scares the Hell out of me for one reason.  Think about this, when a bow blows, which way do the pieces fly?  Away from the back, right?  Now the next time your push pulling, think about what's exposed if it lets go while bracing.  Eyes, face and throat are right in the path of shrapnel.  I already have bad eyes and I'm homely enough to get a job haunting grave yards.  I really don't need to worsen the situation.  I know what your thinking, if you use the push pull method there's less chance of the bo. w blowing.  Maybe, maybe not.  But even if there is an increased chance of damaging the bow with the step through, the majority of the pieces are blowing away from you.  I can make a new bow.  Not the case with my eyes, face and throat.  Just my .02.    Josh

If a bow breaks while you are bracing you  then it sure wasn't meant to be a bow!!  :o
Step through if done correctly probably won't damage most bows. The problem with it is that people rarely do it absolutely correctly, or at least the people I see all the time.
Push pull if done properly will never damage a bow.
Stringers again if used properly will never damage a bow.

The problems start when the bow is well reflexed.

Many professional bowyers will not gaurantee a bow if strung using the Step Thru method..!
We all know many have built countless bows and have their way of stringing a bow,  but I understand why the Pro's are dead against the step thru method because most newbie arhcers are inexperienced using a bow.
Having said that I will not argue with a Pro bowyer no matter how many bows I have built.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 03:43:06 am »
maybe I just have big thighs but at brace hight most selfbows are darn snug
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Holten101

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:33 am »
Step though here....but I do it carefully and try to get both limbs to bend evenly.

Big hiking boots and low brace hight of selfbows can pose a problem tho;-)

Cheers

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 10:14:49 am »
100% stringer for heavy bows, and push/pull for lighter bows. If you step through, my warranty is void.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:38 am »
Push/pull or stringer. :) Like Mike said if step through is done right it would be OK,but most don't and way over toque the bottom or top limb,it has to be done
evenly,even if using the push pull you need to bend both limbs even as you string the bow. :) I prefer to see folks use a stringer if they are new at it. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 11:39:39 pm »
Thanks again guys! I guess if I ever break a bow while stringing it, I might change my ways, but for now I'm too old to change.
                                                          Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline rhansen

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:46 am »
Always a push/pull or a stringer.