Author Topic: Chainsaw advise  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Woodbender

Chainsaw advise
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:18:53 pm »
Pondering getting a chainsaw so I can cut my own wood. Don't know too much about them. Anyone have any advise on size, features, brands, new vs used? Would appreciate your thoughts

Steve

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Chainsaw advise
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:09:14 am »
That would be dependant on what type of wood you will be harvesting, and how big. I have everything from a stihl 066, 044,  poulans a cheap saw, but I really like the little poulans for harvesting bow woods of medium size. Poulans have definate weaknesses.....one the pull start... don't try to prove your manhood here short pulls, and don't use anything other than the poulan weed eater 2 stroke oil mixes as others will clog the carb... been through this many times! >:( Get one with a 18 inch bar I prefer the "wild thing" they have more power, kinda ugly, but you won't loose it! :laugh:. If you are looking for a pro saw stick with husky, or stihl....my .02. :laugh:

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:50:27 am »
Like VBM said, Stihl and Husqvarna are great for big stuff, and the quality is unequaled. That being said, I also have 2 little Poulans that are perfect for the wood I use for most of my bows. I've also used Homelite with good results. If you have big bucks go for Stihl or Husky. If you are on a budget get a Poulan or Homelite. I bought my last Poulan at a garage sale for $2. It runs like a champ!

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:00:38 am »
I love my little homelite saw.  It has cut some big trees.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:37:22 am »
I use a bow saw to cut my wood, good ole arm power lol
I like osage

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:00:26 am »
I use a bow saw to cut my wood, good ole arm power lol
+1......one Chad power  :-\
Always learning something new.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:22:58 am »
Echo  8)

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:28 am »
I've got a Stihl Farm Boss with a 20" bar and have been really happy with it.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 09:41:41 am »
Go big.  I've read osage outlaw's accounts of heroic feats with his tiny Homelite and I believe him!  But I made a living cutting firewood thru high school back in the 70's.  20 inch bar minimum for me.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 10:01:05 am »
After logging for over 8 years I have seen some nasty cuts or should I say rips!maybe figure in the cost of chainsaw pants,boots ,helmet and visor c/w ear muffs.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 11:05:45 am »
22" Husqevarna and 18" Stihl. Don't think I would use anything else.

Offline Woodbender

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 02:26:09 pm »
Thanks folks! As little as I'll probably use it sounds like a cheaper saw might fit my needs. Though I borrowed a neighbors 34 year old Stihl to cut up an apple tree and it ran like a champ!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 02:43:08 pm »
Go big.  I've read osage outlaw's accounts of heroic feats with his tiny Homelite and I believe him!  But I made a living cutting firewood thru high school back in the 70's.  20 inch bar minimum for me.

Slimbob, if I could afford a 20" stihl I would be using one.  The 14" homelite was a Christmas gift 12 years ago so I make do with it.  A sharp chain makes all the difference.  Besides, if I had a powerful 20" saw I would probably end up cutting my leg off with it  ;D  I get into enough trouble with the little homelite.  I just noticed a big saw mark on the heal of my boot the other day.  No clue how that happened.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline k-hat

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:02:28 pm »
I have a little 14" poulan that has worked beautifully so far.  i think it retails for $125 and i got it from a guy off c****list for $80.  Best $80 i've spent on bowmaking.  Depends on how much you're willing to lay out to start with, and how much you really plan on using it.  I was in a squeeze $$wise, and needed it the same day I bought it, so i got lucky.  Took it right out the package, added the oil and gas, cranked'er up and cut down a bunch of elm :)

Offline jimbows

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 05:25:40 pm »
ive used mainly stihl for years and I love them. but Ive also used husqvarna and they are nice saws too. I have a 310 stihl with 20" bar and it works great but one my favorites is a 250 stihl it works great and its alot lighter but will cut pretty big stuff too.