Author Topic: buffalo neck sinew  (Read 2438 times)

Offline DuBois

buffalo neck sinew
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:14:57 am »
Maybe you could use it for glue, not good for backing.
Let me know what you think.
Marco DuBois
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:45:40 am by DuBois »

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Free buffalo back sinew
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 03:35:20 am »
Howdy,  I strongly suspect your "back sinew" is actually from the neck.   There's a strong ligament running down the back of the neck on most large ruminants.  I was taught to call it the ligamentum nuchae.  It looks great but is useless for sinewing bows.   Now if you could get the same butchers to save the feet for you, you could collect the leg sinews.  True back sinew is from deep edge of the backstrap muscle.   Since the backstrap is routinely butchered out and separated from the sinew you might be able to obtain that too.
I suggest that the stuff you do have could be turned into a dandy glue.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline DuBois

Re: Free buffalo back sinew
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:29 am »
Finally!!
That's what the %*&@ is wrong!
I saw a video by Allergic Hobbit with buffalo back sinew and it didn't look like this stuff.
I will talk to the butcher about this. He's a great guy so it may work out yet.
Thanks you Ron!
If I can get the right stuff you got some coming if you want.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Not quite buffalo back sinew
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:21:19 pm »
I hope it works out!  The type of cuts demanded by the market may not allow the back sinew to be saved.  The feet are always cut off though, so the leg sinew should be available, with a little work on your part.   I'll be glad to trade if you can get some in stock.  I'd also like to try the stuff you've got on hand and see if it makes good glue.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Not quite buffalo back sinew
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »
Don't just pitch that neck sinew, though!  It makes hide glue.  And if you are into sinew, you are into hide glue, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DuBois

Re: buffalo neck sinew
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 03:45:59 am »
Don't just pitch that neck sinew, though!  It makes hide glue.  And if you are into sinew, you are into hide glue, too.
OK, I will keep some and get more when available in case anyone else is interested in some.
Thanks folks!