Author Topic: Bowyers eyes please.  (Read 5355 times)

Offline dwardo

Bowyers eyes please.
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:03:12 am »
Ayup all,

This is my first attempt at a lever type bow, well the first got this far anyway ;)

Right looks a little stiff in spots to me. Bow is 61 inches long and the working limbs are only about 16 inches long each  :o surely this cant be right lol! To be honest except maybe Blackhawks lever bows i find them pretty ugly  :D
Anways its taken only an inch of follow so far. Started flat took an inch about 18 draw, heat treated flat again and now has the inch back at about 26 draw length where its pulling about 50lb give or take. Still a load of mass i can remove from the tips and levers if it makes it that far. Oh its cherry again btw. working limbs 2, 3/8

knot right through upper mid lmb (right)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:35:55 am by dwardo »

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Bowyers eyes please.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:16:24 am »
  Wow! nice bend on some Cherry...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:31 am »
That's awful close...how's it look in the hand?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:25:46 am »
That's awful close...how's it look in the hand?
#
Was hoping you would be around bud  ;)

Once the missus and boy wake up will get a drawn int hand shot and post it, wont be long.
The first time i measured the working limbs i thought, nah that cant be right lol, but then took another look at some of your stuff and it made me feel better.
Post it up in a bit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:15:42 am by dwardo »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 09:33:19 am »
Whilst they sleep i am also playing with this

this is way to heavy at the minute and needs reducing a hell of a lot before i over-power the belly.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:49 am »
Looking really nice!  Sweet bend for sure.   I love Cherry, but a tough candidate for this type of bow.  Excellent!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:09:16 am »
looks good! i really like the side profile. the curved tips make it look so much better!

In your first port you called this a "lever type bow". Can you explain the meaning of that? I have not heard this term before. Isn't this bow design a Holmegaard?
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 10:20:44 am »
looks good! i really like the side profile. the curved tips make it look so much better!

In your first port you called this a "lever type bow". Can you explain the meaning of that? I have not heard this term before. Isn't this bow design a Holmegaard?

Lever bow just meaning the outer limbs are stiff and thin acting like levers to the bending inner portion of the limb. I would say more mollegabet in style but an extreme one as the original seems to have much shorter "levers"
Blackhawk is our resident molly maker ;)

There are two different bows above if that wasnt clear sorry. 

Offline CaptainBeaky

• Maker of stuff
    • Westmead Artificing
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 11:36:37 am »

Right looks a little stiff in spots to me.

I thought the right was bending more than the left, but not so evenly :?

Bow is 61 inches long and the working limbs are only about 16 inches long each  :o surely this cant be right lol!
The one I've just finished was 18" of working limb in 68" OAL - about 2/3 working limb, 1/3 lever.

Anyways its taken only an inch of follow so far. Started flat took an inch about 18 draw, heat treated flat again and now has the inch back at about 26 draw length where its pulling about 50lb give or take. Still a load of mass i can remove from the tips and levers if it makes it that far. Oh its cherry again btw. working limbs 2, 3/8

Not too much set then - looking forward to seeing more of this one.
The law hangs the man and flogs the woman
That steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater villain loose
That steals the common from under the goose.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 12:09:35 pm »
Wow, lookin' V sweet to me Dude.
I sometimes think lever bows have too much happening over too short a distance. Yours looks nice and smooth, not over working near the grip.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 02:36:50 pm »
I sometimes think lever bows have too much happening over too short a distance. Yours looks nice and smooth, not over working near the grip.
Del

Thanks Dell, when you look at how much wood there is doing the work it is a little offputting and counterintuitive.
The missus just gave me that look when I asked her to go outside in the cold n rain to take a rd shot so that's out till the morrow.
Put just a few arrows through this at 3/4 draw and it's an odd feeling. I could have went for a slightly bending handle and a tiny amount of bend in the levers but this is a kind of test for cherry so might as well push the boat out and see what it can take. The static above is also cherry so will see how that fairs.
I have a static wych elm roughed out which has thinner working limbs than these two but it's shockingly more dense than the cherry. At smaller diensions I still can't get it to flex at all at floor tiller!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 02:47:16 pm »
Is this bow from a stave or board ??
I like osage

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 02:57:04 pm »
Is this bow from a stave or board ??

Stave Joe, not had the pleasure of working a board yet. Most local lumber suppliers over here stock pine, pine, pine and chipboard.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 03:45:23 pm »
Del

Thanks Dell, when you look at how much wood there is doing the work it is a little offputting and counterintuitive.
The missus just gave me that look when I asked her to go outside in the cold n rain to take a rd shot so that's out till the morrow.
Put just a few arrows through this at 3/4 draw and it's an odd feeling. I could have went for a slightly bending handle and a tiny amount of bend in the levers but this is a kind of test for cherry so might as well push the boat out and see what it can take. The static above is also cherry so will see how that fairs.
I have a static wych elm roughed out which has thinner working limbs than these two but it's shockingly more dense than the cherry. At smaller diensions I still can't get it to flex at all at floor tiller!
I like the concept of a sllght flex in handle and levers, it shows they are not carrying excess weight :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 06:25:07 pm »
Nice bow! That's a wrap. Super tiller. I hate "the look". I wonder  how many times I got the look in 41 years of marriage. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!