Author Topic: New Recurve -Now with Bells and Whistles!  (Read 3063 times)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
New Recurve -Now with Bells and Whistles!
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:38:21 pm »
this is my newest recurve. i have been experimenting with string bridges, and this is my first functional example. let me know what you think. shes 58 inches tip to tip, with a 4 inch handle, and static recurves, and draws 42 pounds at 28 inches. i did all the leatherwork myself, and the arrow pass is antique piano ivory.

My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Joec123able

Re: New Recurve -Now with Bells and Whistles!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:57:07 pm »
Nice recurves sweet lookin bow
I like osage

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:29 pm »
I bet that is real smooth with that string angle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:05:32 am »
Those are some radical hooks. If you sinew backed that bow you could pull it another 28" and still have good tip/string angle.  ;)    The tiller looks good. Nice bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:54:24 am »
Those recurves took a lot of bend.  I dig that. I'm working on an Osage static myself (don't tell my PNW brothers  :-X) .

I like the arrow pass idea. I've got some old piano keys myself.

Seems to me like the upper limb ought to bend more right out of the fade.  Mid limb iis doing too much work.  But the correction would proboblycost you too much poundage, so I'd probably leave it.

Its a nice bow.

Are the bridges built up leather and glued on? 

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:02:46 am »
Radical !!!!

That's some flips !!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:17:36 am »
thank you all for your kind words! Rossfactor, thank you, but I have to credit Lostarrow for the piano key idea, one of his is where i first saw it. and yes, the bridges are laminated bull leather i put together with superglue, i have to credit simson for that one though.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 06:35:42 am »
Great looking bow, gorgeous tiller.
IMO,
I'd reduce the bulk of the bridges as much as you can.
Rub a soft pencil on the string in that area and the after shooting it a bit you'll see where the string actually sits on the bridge. You can then trim off a lot of the spare wood (or are they leather? I think wood or horn would be better*)
Same thing with the height of the bridge. Ask yourself what the bridge is actual there for, how high does it have to be to achieve the task.
Fill in a weight/benefit analysis and risk assesment form for the bridge ::)...  >:D  ;)
Mind they aren't all that much too big, some you see are daft and must weigh as much as the arrow :o.
Nice arrow pass too.
Del
*Dunno. Leather will cushion the impact but may add friction and not be so hard wearing? I'd favour polished horn myself, but I don't claim to have much experience ... only ones I've done were Ash.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:44:33 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 08:51:47 am »
Nice static :)
In the middle of a couple my self at the minute. Certainly do get the head scratching..

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »
Del: thank you for the advice! i will certainly put it to use soon. im gonna clean this bow up a bit more before it sees much use, too.
Dwardo: thank you! and yes, they certainly are... do you use a form to bend in your curves, or do you use your hands?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 02:24:12 pm »
I use a form mate, just one lump of wood with several shapes sawn into it from mild to near 90degree bends.
I see some of the masters like halfeye do it by hand but wouldn't trust my self to get it right or even.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 05:41:39 pm »
you and me both. i use two though, i had to make a second form to do these recurves because of how severe they are. i will hand bend some, but never anything beyond a gentle reflex to a mild recurve. other than that, i simply don't trust myself enough to risk it :) one day maybe, but not today lol