Author Topic: I'm not sure what to think of this...  (Read 1388 times)

Offline hatcha

I'm not sure what to think of this...
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:53:09 am »
Tour guide in Florida "wrestles" and kills python in front of group of tourists.  I've not watched the video as I found reading the report strange enough to put up with...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/florida-snake-killed-tour-guides-video-075105747.html#nt324Sm

Your thoughts on this?

Offline chamookman

Re: I'm not sure what to think of this...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:59:11 pm »
Don't have a problem with it at all. Invasive species of all sorts  are ruining the natural balance of things, it's a sore spot for Me. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 02:52:27 pm »
Oh I'd be on the same side of the fence as you with regard invasive species - the Sika deer is watering down the Irish Red deer's bloodline here in Ireland but they won't label the Sika as invasive, just "non-indigenous".

I was referring more to the "spectator sport" that the tour guides made of the act.

I'm all for the killing of annoying, invasive animals.  Matter of fact there's an English couple live next door to me that remind me of that every once in a while...  ;) :D

(disclaimer: The above is not meant as a reflection of all English people - just the ones living next door to the author.)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:18:51 pm »
If I was on that tour I would have asked for the skin.   >:D  After applauding, of course.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:46:23 pm »
About the time the outcome was decided, I would have been whipping out the flint and steel, collecting firewood and skewers, and digging in my pack for my ever-present baggie of dry rub.  Hopefully, someone would have had some cold amber beverages to go with the soon-to-be shore lunch. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:44:37 pm »
Well,,, those boat tours are usually boring as hell. I spent all day Tursday running an airboat and the next three weeks wil be the same. Nothing but gators, birds, and little snakes, just another day in Florida ::) ;D. I hope they tipped him well. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lemos

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »
I'm all for invasive species removal, and hide use and defiantly shore lunches, I do have a problem with the death of an animal as a spectator sport for the amusement of tourists. Seems a little in poor taste.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 09:15:49 pm »
I probably would have done the some thing except brought it to FWC live.  Snakes aren't nearly as dangerous as folks make them out to be.  I've handled snakes that size that wanted to kill before too.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Roy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 11:25:50 pm »
My ass would have stayed in the boat:)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 11:39:36 pm »
Chicken  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Roy

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 11:53:28 pm »
Nuff outta you boy:)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 11:59:54 pm »
Well they do kinda taste like chicken Outlaw...  :)

But I'd have taken it whole, no sense messing up the skin just to cut its head off...
I have a Grill and or Deep Fryer with me when I travel.
And Cold Beer and Tequila.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 04:14:30 pm »
I'm all for invasive species removal, and hide use and defiantly shore lunches, I do have a problem with the death of an animal as a spectator sport for the amusement of tourists. Seems a little in poor taste.
Lemos; from our experiance down here, most tourist do have poor taste and the gators agree. ;D
I probably would have done the some thing except brought it to FWC live.  Snakes aren't nearly as dangerous as folks make them out to be.  I've handled snakes that size that wanted to kill before too.
Tim; The FWC would have just made a pair of boots out of them, too. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 04:52:12 pm »
Tim; The FWC would have just made a pair of boots out of them, too. ::)

No they would have taken data on it, maybe taken blood samples, etc.  That's what they want us to think anyway. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!